Do crabs bully other crabs?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Do crabs bully other crabs?

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:43 pm

I have 4 crabbies & it seems like my crabs are bullying one of them. A couple weeks ago one crab was holding onto other one, while another crab looked like it was trying to pull him or of his shell. I had to keep rescuing him that night. But i haven't seen them do it since that night. Another day it appeared as though they were having a staring contest...they just stood starting at each other for a LONG time. Now tonight the same crab that is always being picked on was lying in the salt water dish upside down inside his shell, while the other crab held him there. I didn't see what lead up to this....i only caught them in the act. What is going on with my crabbies?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Emm33333

Re: Do crabs bully other crabs?

Post by Emm33333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Life_Is_Good2me wrote:I have 4 crabbies & it seems like my crabs are bullying one of them. A couple weeks ago one crab was holding onto other one, while another crab looked like it was trying to pull him or of his shell. I had to keep rescuing him that night. But i haven't seen them do it since that night. Another day it appeared as though they were having a staring contest...they just stood starting at each other for a LONG time. Now tonight the same crab that is always being picked on was lying in the salt water dish upside down inside his shell, while the other crab held him there. I didn't see what lead up to this....i only caught them in the act. What is going on with my crabbies?

How many extra shells do you have in you tank? It may be a shell fight.
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16
2 PP's, CrabCakes and Odka (10g, 29g)
Soon to be owner of six adoptees and a 75g with all supplies!
Adoptees names! Bagel ( Big honkin Bagel aka BHB) Cece,Ebony,Mitzi,Rocco and Gwin

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:10 pm

I'm actually in serious need of large shells for them. I always get them from The Hermit Crab Patch but I've been waiting for them to get some in for a long time now. They were supposed to get some in by now, but they pushed the date to March! I like their shells bc they sell them in a bundle of sizes. Do you know where else i can buy shells like that? I have 4 shells in the tank but they don't seem to like them. I didn't think it would make them that crazy though!

Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Life_Is_Good2me wrote:I'm actually in serious need of large shells for them. I always get them from The Hermit Crab Patch but I've been waiting for them to get some in for a long time now. They were supposed to get some in by now, but they pushed the date to March! I like their shells bc they sell them in a bundle of sizes. Do you know where else i can buy shells like that? I have 4 shells in the tank but they don't seem to like them. I didn't think it would make them that crazy though!

What size shell are they in? Here are the shopping resources that the HCA recommends
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16
Adoptees names! Bagel ( Big honkin Bagel aka BHB) Cece,Ebony,Mitzi,Rocco and Gwin

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:58 pm

I get my shells from Naples or Sea Shell City.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:35 pm

I'm not sure of all of their exact sizes, I'll have to measure. I ordered the variety pack in the medium size from The Hermit Crab Patch last time, so I was just going to try the large this time.
Thanks for your help I need to get some asap!

Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Life_Is_Good2me wrote:I'm not sure of all of their exact sizes, I'll have to measure. I ordered the variety pack in the medium size from The Hermit Crab Patch last time, so I was just going to try the large this time.
Thanks for your help I need to get some asap!

Also, what size tank do you have? If you have an ISO, I would recommend putting the 'bully' in to keep the one Crab safe and any others. You can always try your local Joanne Fabrics or craft stores for some temporary, cheap shells.
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Hello! Shell fights should not be taken lightly. HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. There are also incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

I agree with Emm that you should iso the bully until you get more shells. Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:55 pm

It's only 10 gal & I don't have anything to seperate them. I'm trying to find a new home for them as i just can't care for them and i can't do a bigger aquarium. But no luck yet. Hopefully things will get better once they have a variety of new shells to choose from.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:58 pm

Sorry to hear that. You know what is best. Hopefully you hear something. Did you make a post on the adoption thread?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Sorry to hear that. You know what is best. Hopefully you hear something. Did you make a post on the adoption thread?
Sorry to answer a question you asked someone else for but yes she did. Lol I tried to adopt them but it's too far of a drive.
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16

Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 pm

Do you have a tote that you could heat as an ISO?
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:52 pm

No I don't but tomorrow I'll try to see if i can get some stuff at the store to get one. I did have someone messages me that said they would take them but then i typed up this response and i kept trying to send it, and it wouldn't go through. So them i tried messaging my email address to email me and it showed that my message went through but they didn't respond. Do i don't know if they changed their mind or what.

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Please forgive all the typos...i use "swipe" when i write & it's not always accurate. Lol

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:53 pm

No worries! Good luck! Did you try looking at the adopters page and contacting someone for your state?
Here is the entire page, scroll down for your state, look at someone that you would be comfortable adopting them to, and PM them :) http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... m.php?f=13