Disappeared for 8 MONTHS???

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Disappeared for 8 MONTHS???

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:10 pm

It takes time for them to adjust to the new tank. Give him time. Especially when others are brave enough to explore for him and tell him it's safe. everything takes time...they are wild creatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:26 am

annedow9 wrote:
daws409 wrote:Wow, that gives me hope! I have one that normally take 6-8 weeks to molt every 4-6 months. His last molt lasted 6.5 weeks and he came up Nov. 2, 2016. He went back down Dec. 14 which I thought was just digging at the time. Mar 1 made 11 weeks since he was last seen. They can and will have back to back molts! So I'm guessing he's molting again. Really hope he pops up soon. I'm starting to worry.

I've heard other members whose babies have been down 6+ months. So it's possible he had an extra long molt. It's also possible he came up during the night, went down before daybreak, and you just didn't notice/see him.

Love how they make us worry! :)

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
one of mine has been down since before Thanksgiving. About 3 weeks ago the shell appeared but no crab. I'm hoping she went back down with a new shell.

Could be a back to back molt. How big is the crab?

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:28 am

Hermiearth wrote:
annedow9 wrote:
daws409 wrote:Wow, that gives me hope! I have one that normally take 6-8 weeks to molt every 4-6 months. His last molt lasted 6.5 weeks and he came up Nov. 2, 2016. He went back down Dec. 14 which I thought was just digging at the time. Mar 1 made 11 weeks since he was last seen. They can and will have back to back molts! So I'm guessing he's molting again. Really hope he pops up soon. I'm starting to worry.

I've heard other members whose babies have been down 6+ months. So it's possible he had an extra long molt. It's also possible he came up during the night, went down before daybreak, and you just didn't notice/see him.

Love how they make us worry! :)

one of mine has been down since before Thanksgiving. About 3 weeks ago the shell appeared but no crab. I'm hoping she went back down with a new shell.

Could be a back to back molt. How big is the crab?

Haven't sized him but medium borderline large maybe. He's wearing a 1 1/8 shell.

Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's