Air Quality Issues

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Keg

Air Quality Issues

Post by Keg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Whenever Azazul has a complaint about air quality issues, she ducks under the abalone shell in the crabitat. I guess the bad smells are somewhat filtered out in that cave-like area. That's my assumption anyway, but I believe it.

Last week she was spending alot of time down there. I know this is not a happy place for her and when I caught a glimpse of her occasionally, she didn't look happy. Airing the room out with a fan didn't seem to help. So I sat down next to the tat and was trying to think what had changed. And then I smelled... Some onions in the refrigerator. I guess it was stinging her lid-less compound eyes. So I threw them out. I'm not allowed to have onions anymore.

Later in the week I made some pasta with hot sauce and... She ran under the abalone. I guess the hot sauce got in the air when I put it on hot steaming pasta. Oh well. Clunk in the trash.

I'm not sure but I think it stung her a little when I put some black pepper on a hot potato. It may have made it into the air from the hot moisture.

Hermiearth

Re: Air Quality Issues

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:43 pm

If what your saying is try and there eyes are this sensitive- wouldn't they be in pain from the salt in there pools and wild ones from the ocean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Keg wrote:Whenever Azazul has a complaint about air quality issues, she ducks under the abalone shell in the crabitat. I guess the bad smells are somewhat filtered out in that cave-like area. That's my assumption anyway, but I believe it.

Last week she was spending alot of time down there. I know this is not a happy place for her and when I caught a glimpse of her occasionally, she didn't look happy. Airing the room out with a fan didn't seem to help. So I sat down next to the tat and was trying to think what had changed. And then I smelled... Some onions in the refrigerator. I guess it was stinging her lid-less compound eyes. So I threw them out. I'm not allowed to have onions anymore.

Later in the week I made some pasta with hot sauce and... She ran under the abalone. I guess the hot sauce got in the air when I put it on hot steaming pasta. Oh well. Clunk in the trash.

I'm not sure but I think it stung her a little when I put some black pepper on a hot potato. It may have made it into the air from the hot moisture.
I think that this is a bit of anthropomorphizing the crab's behavior.

If the tank is set up properly, there really is little air exchange, and smells from cooking, aerosol sprays, candles, etc. aren't entering your crabitat.

They are prey animals and prefer to have plenty of hiding spaces. I almost never see my crabs just chilling in the open.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:14 am

>>>>>>If what your saying is try and there eyes are this sensitive- wouldn't they be in pain from the salt in there pools and wild ones from the ocean?

Rather than engage in a debate or ad hominem attack, it would be helpful if someone could verify if their crabs are (or are not) repelled by the fragrance of onions or the use of peppers in cooking, to the point where it changes air quality. Onions and peppers are known to be eye irritants in humans - so at the risk of being accused of anthropomorphizing, I suspect they may irritate/repel crustaceans.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:57 am

Keg wrote:>>>>>>If what your saying is try and there eyes are this sensitive- wouldn't they be in pain from the salt in there pools and wild ones from the ocean?

Rather than engage in a debate or ad hominem attack, it would be helpful if someone could verify if their crabs are (or are not) repelled by the fragrance of onions or the use of peppers in cooking, to the point where it changes air quality. Onions and peppers are known to be eye irritants in humans - so at the risk of being accused of anthropomorphizing, I suspect they may irritate/repel crustaceans.
*Admin hat*

This is a discussion forum. If you post a topic, be prepared for rebuttals, advice, questions, and requests for clarification.

No one has attacked you in this thread.

Please keep conversations civil and on-topic.

*member hat*

Onions and garlic are on the unsafe list as they are toxic to crabs. Peppers are not known to bother crabs and are safe for them to eat.

There is no reason for them to be exposed to any of the sulfuric compounds that are released from onions.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:59 am

Since no one is going to willfully expose their crabs to those ingredients at a close enough range for them to be bothersome, and the gases would be so diluted anyway from the distance (I am assuming your crabs are not in your kitchen in an open tank), then no-cooking onions is not going to affect the air quality around the crabs to any harmful degree.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 am

@aussiejjdude, do you have any input here?

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:04 am

Wow

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:02 pm

I was not, in any way, attacking you. I simply was wondering something and was interested in the question. As Soiletgringa mentioned, we should keep the forum as civil as possible and not try to cause fights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:25 am

We keep our crabs one room over from the kitchen, granted the only way it really gets air put into it is from the bubblers. I have not noticed that it irritates them in any way.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Hey! :)
Like Soilent said, they are on the bad list. Currently our bad list is a list of harmful species that are at risk to other pets.... Many unsafe foods over the years have been found to be safe to feed, where many crabbers do try them out. I've personally feed food with pieces of onion (cooked) before, whether I say they have eaten it or not is a different story...

Hermit crabs eyes are unknown to us, we know very little about "how they work". So in saying that, their eyes COULD be irritated by airborne particles like onions, but most likely not. From what we know, they can regrow their eyes if it is amputated - just takes multiple moults to get it to a "normal size", and believed to function properly - and also believe they are able to see in the ultraviolet and infrared spectra....

So in saying all that, your crabs should be fine if you cook pasta and onions, at lost it may be due to presence - body movements, when you walk, vibrations which the crabs may feel ect - which causes them to hide.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies