Interesting Shell Change

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
legobrickmaster

Interesting Shell Change

Post by legobrickmaster » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:33 pm

We recently bought a bunch of new shells for our two crabbies, and when we added them to the tank, they both changed shells almost immediately.

About an hour later, the smaller crab began to inspect/play with another shell (in the exact same way he has done in the past, right before he changes shells). We left him alone, and when we returned about 30 minutes later, he abandoned his new shell and was back in his old shell!

I'm not worried. We just found the behavior interesting. Guess he really likes the old one. :)

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Interesting Shell Change

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:23 pm

:lol: Yeah - my crabs will do this a lot. Especially when I add new shells or change up the tank.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

shanedaman112

Re: Interesting Shell Change

Post by shanedaman112 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:21 pm

I've found that mine like to take their new shells for a test run for a few minutes. They usually test it out and then change back to the old one lol.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)