My crabbies are weird

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Danik

My crabbies are weird

Post by Danik » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:47 am

I've been trying to get my crabs more used to me and they hide in their shells when I open the tank up. 3 out of the 4 I have will crawl in my hand but the big one won't. Any tips to get them used to me? I have had them for almost two months

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My crabbies are weird

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 am

They are wild animals.... so to put it rather bluntly, they may never become accustomed to you, or at least to the level that you want. For example, they may become familiar with your movements outside the tank and how it wont cause harm, however will not become use to being handled.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 am

I agree with the above, I have had most of my crabs for 2 years or more and most of them still tuck away when I'm in or around the tank. They may learn to associate you with food, but they aren't emotional creatures; crustaceans don't have complex brains like humans. There is even scientific debate on whether crustaceans feel pain or not. I feel like they do, even if not in the way we do- but that is a personal opinion. They are prey animals so it is their instinct to be afraid.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:14 am

I also agree with above answers. And the reasin they walk around on your hand is most likely because they're afraid and looking for a way out.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks everyone

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk