MY BABY PP IS ALIVE!!!!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
ciaraalston

MY BABY PP IS ALIVE!!!!

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:43 am

So, when I was setting up the 55, I had 4 purple pinchers. 2 large, 1 medium, and 1 tiny. They were in a 20 gal long. I had added all my substrate and stuff, and I apparently miscounted. I thought I had removed them all before I started transferring the substrate from the 20 to the 55 (I add their old substrate to give them a "familiar smell) but I came across my baby PP. He was buried at the absolute bottom in the back corner. He was the one that buried immediately after I adopted, but I thought he had surfaced already.
I immediately placed him in the 55 with the others, stopped everything and covered the tank with a blanket. I was terrified I had killed him. The next morning I counted and the 2 large and 1 medium were up, my tiny buried again. So i waited. I just KNEW I had killed him, but lo and behold I came home from work this morning and HE'S UP! AND he's in a new shell!!!!!!! I now have 4 PPs up and 2 Es buried!
Anyways,he changed into a murex too! (Is that what theyre called??) It's way too big for him, but I'm just glad he's up and alive!!!!! ImageImage

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermiesguardian

Re: MY BABY PP IS ALIVE!!!!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:17 am

:banana: :clap:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Yay! So glad it’s still alive!!I have one that’s in a shell like that too...I was surprised because it seems far to heavy but despite all the other shells I have (and that he/she checked out)...it’s still in that very same shell lol. I ordered a couple more like it to see if it prefers that type haha
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 pm

fandt94 wrote:Yay! So glad it’s still alive!!I have one that’s in a shell like that too...I was surprised because it seems far to heavy but despite all the other shells I have (and that he/she checked out)...it’s still in that very same shell lol. I ordered a couple more like it to see if it prefers that type haha
I only have a couple like this, but PLENTY of rounds available. This one is too big, because when he pulls in you can barely see him, but he's happy and healthy!

Here's what he's doing as of a few hours ago

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Happy dance!! Yessssss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Noice! What a story! Glad he is okay!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Yay! Cute! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks y'all. I definitely learned to be more careful. This one had a great outcome but I got lucky and my guy is a trooper. He's enjoying the bigger tank and his friends