Changed to a too-small shell

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Apoplexic

Changed to a too-small shell

Post by Apoplexic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 am

Copy and pasting this from a Facebook group I'm also in because this is starting to concern me and I want as many different opinions as I can on it.

One more for the night. I just added about a dozen awesome shells thanks to one of our members, so it's a change-fest right now. However, my (now) third-largest just left a shell that was a bit too small for one that is totally too small, and I don't understand why - my immediate thought is maybe somehow I landed a Brevi and never knew it but I'm 99% sure she's a PP. What's up with her?

I watched her for a solid 20 minutes muck with it before she switched, and then after she literally flipped her old shell away and wandered into the hide - she's not coming back for it.

Update a few hours later - she is still in that shell. It did not feel modified as if by an Eccie (I checked them all, was gonna throw E-friendly ones almost on top of two that still won't leave their modified but painted shells :Z)...I just don't understand and am honestly slightly worried. I assume she must like it...but why.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fohf-h ... sp=sharing

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Changed to a too-small shell

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:06 am

Its a PP. Sometimes crabs just like shells with a tighter fit. I wouldn't worry, as long as she has options to change into a larger (a little more size appropiate) shell she'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Apoplexic

Post by Apoplexic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Facebook also told me that sometimes they will take a smaller shell before going down for a molt - this would be her first in a long time if that's the case. Either way I feel much better; it just really got to me when she did what was supposed to be the opposite behavior!

Thank you.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 pm

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to crabs and shells. The best thing is to give them a selection of sizes and types and let them have fun. Keep in mind in the wild they may only ever end up finding a few good shells in their lifetime, or end up with hand me downs forever. I sometimes think we overwhelm them by giving them so many choices! However, when housing hermits together it is better to overwhelm so they don't set their sites on a tankmate's shell being better for them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Apoplexic

Post by Apoplexic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:42 am

That's what was really getting to me - there were two or three sarmaticus shells just beside that one, including one that would have made her appear Tiny when she's borderline Jumbo. Instead she chose a smaller...forget the species of snail...D-shaped shell!

Crazy crabs.

AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:36 am

Neither of my jumbo guys wants a proper sized shell. They have lots of options, and Agent K swaps shells on the regular. But neither one can ever fully get inside their chosen shells like the littles like to do. Everyone else from Large down to teeny all like to have shells they can completely retract into. I think as long as there are options in the correct sizes, don't stress if they don't pick a shell we think is the right size. Maybe she's just one of those girls that always runs around in teeny tiny yoga pants. :D
Devoted Mom to 1 macaw, 1 cat, and 9 PPs