Extreme Eating

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
nonamelikethis

Extreme Eating

Post by nonamelikethis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:25 pm

So I did a thing today and got a new hermit crab so Puddles would have a friend... This ones name is Skids. I got her (Will just refer to skids as a female for now) at petco today (poor baby :( ) and she is eating EXTREMELY. Shes just a small hermit crab, and the poor thing was probably starving. I put fresh cut apple and strawberry in there and shes already almost eaten a whole piece of apple. Will her overeating hurt her in any way at all?

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

Last edited by nonamelikethis on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love my pets. (Hank, my dog. Cookie, my cat, Fishy, my only fish left :(, and now 2 purple pincher hermit crabs, Bubbles and Puddles)

PinchersAndShells

Re: Extreme Eating

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:38 pm

I'm sure the crabs know how much they need to eat. It's possible that she just didn't eat when she was at the pet store (some crabs are picky!) and now that she has something she likes she's deciding to fill up.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:25 am

This is really normal! Food is scarce in the wild, and they have not had the best treatment after they are collected. They tend to binge on everything - food, water, and shells.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
nonamelikethis

Post by nonamelikethis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:38 am

Thank you for letting me know! I got worried that she might over-eat because of poor treatment at the pet store. And a side note, I caught Puddles and Skids "cuddling" this morning its adorable.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

I love my pets. (Hank, my dog. Cookie, my cat, Fishy, my only fish left :(, and now 2 purple pincher hermit crabs, Bubbles and Puddles)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:07 am

Just be sure that you are giving a varied, balanced diet. They will eat what they need to, but need to have all the aspects of the food pyramid covered.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers