Found dead crab mystery

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
topbunkbear

Found dead crab mystery

Post by topbunkbear » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:01 am

A few months ago, my biggest PP, Amythyst, passed away due to pps (I think). I found out because when I picked her up by the shell, her entire body fell out, and she stayed like that all night. I took her body and placed it inside a shroud and buried her. I have a gravestone and everything.

Yesterday I found a dead hermit crab in my drawer. (My crabs are on my dresser so it's entirely possible that one could fall in)

....here's the spooky thing.

All 3 of my crabs were in the tank, and were okay.

plus, this crab was in Amythyst's shell that I bought specifically for her.

This is something I cannot explain, as I know I buried amythyst. I'm considering digging her up just to confirm this but Im unsure if she's decayed or not.

...I'm sorta spooked guys. I've only ever had these crabs and I've never had one go missing. I don't know how this could be possible.

RiNiKy506

Found dead crab mystery

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:19 am

Did you have any extra shells that you got with them that could have had a hermit crab deep inside and you didn’t realize it? Sometimes they can pick a shell that is really big on them and they can hide very far back in them and you can barely tell they are in there. Please let us know if you figure it out, that is crazy.

Here is a picture of my Crabina in a shell that one of my larger crabs changed out of. This shell is way too big on her, she seems to do this before she molts.

Topic author
topbunkbear

Re: Found dead crab mystery

Post by topbunkbear » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I dug up Amythyst (sorry girl) and she was still there. I went ahead And buried this mystery crab too. I boiled the shell before I put it in the enclosure so I'm unsure if it's possible one could have hid in there.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:30 am

I wonder if anyone else will have any ideas. So crazy.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:53 am

Could one of the crabs that passed been an exoskeleton? What if the crab you found in the drawer was the real her and the one in the soil is just an exo. Just a guess. Or that but switched around
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 am

Also have you only had 4 crabs in total over the time of your crab experience, or have you had more?
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:53 am
Could one of the crabs that passed been an exoskeleton? What if the crab you found in the drawer was the real her and the one in the soil is just an exo. Just a guess. Or that but switched around
That's what I was thinking.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:53 am
That could definitely be a possibility. I never thought about that.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!