Missing crab

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Scarletfire

Missing crab

Post by Scarletfire » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:42 pm

I've had my crabs for a week now. Ones a straw, the other is a pp. The pp burrowed down as there was a hole in the substrate.. Thank God the straw is big and can't following him in. I did notice he started digging in that area too, on the hole that the pp went down. They're both on the left most side of the tank. Not sure if I need to separate the straw into an iso. I don't have an extra heater for a 10g.

My Substrate is 8" deep, 8x deeper than the pp, and 3x deeper than the straw.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Scarletfire on Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Missing crab

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:13 pm

They tunnel around down there. The pp could be on the other side of the tank. You should have nothing to worry about.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:23 pm

Oh okay. Phew. Anxiety is kicking in.

They've never had deep or sandy Substrate before, so if I was them, I guess I would do that too x.x

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:32 pm

The only time one of my crabs dug up the other was when I didn't have deep enough substrate.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:34 pm

Its been 16 days since I took these crabs in. I still haven't seen the pp since it dug down. I'm starting to have doubts whether I even have a second crab. No fishy smell. I check my wyze regularly, but I haven't seen him yet, just my straw, pebbles, all over the food, darker than ever before.

At what point should I start worrying?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 pm

Scarletfire wrote:Its been 16 days since I took these crabs in. I still haven't seen the pp since it dug down. I'm starting to have doubts whether I even have a second crab. No fishy smell. I check my wyze regularly, but I haven't seen him yet, just my straw, pebbles, all over the food, darker than ever before.

At what point should I start worrying?

They stay buried for weeks to months depending on size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:31 am

Don't worry yet! Still very early. Four months is kind of the arbitrary mark to start worrying!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Pecospaul1

Post by Pecospaul1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Young crabs molt More often. My new PP buried itself 1 hour after I bought it. Just came up last night after 5-6 weeks.