Sebastian update!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Sebastian update!

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 am

Hey y'all!
As you may remember, Sebastian was attacked earlier this year. I had him in an ISO tote since, letting him molt and recover. Well, he molted about 3 times, and he's grown his pincher back and it's almost back to the size it was before!
I tried adding him into the 80 with the rest a little over a month ago, but my E immediately jumped onto him and I wasnt comfortable so I put him back in ISO. Sebastian molted one more time, and my E is currently down for a molt so I decided to try again.
I added sebastian on Monday afternoon. Rajah immediately came over to check things out, but it was about 4 minutes of them looking at each other and antennas flying around. Finally, they went their own directions. I've kept an eye for the last couple of days and monitored closely. All is well!!! When I added him, I dipped him in the water bowl. Then i did a fresh water change (it was needed) and added extra calcium and new food!
Sebastian changed shells sometime last night as well, so that's great! The murex shells are so pretty but they seem so uncomfortable compared to round shells lol.
Heres some pics!

Rajah and Sebastian catching up! (They used to be the same size and color.)

Sebastian exploring the new tank. When he left they were in a 55. He's never seen the 80!

This morning in his new shell

Also I rearranged a couple of things and added their old favorite piece of wood. Still not satisfied with the tank, it needs more vines and something to hide the egg crate, but they're still so active!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermiesguardian

Re: Sebastian update!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:04 am

Welcome home Sebastian!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 am

They are both beautiful crabbies! I’m so happy for you, you’ve gotten him healed up and doing well. He looks great! It’s good to read a happy ending.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 am

I’m glad to hear he’s doing better now and back in with the others! Happy endings are great, thanks for sharing and the update! I hope they all continue to thrive!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 am

Thank yall so much! This was my first ever crab emergency and I was worried for a while! He's a strong one though!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Oooo, I love the hairy legs!!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:42 am

Thanks for sharing! Really hoping my molter is up soon and can get to the 10 gallon for now. Next Petco sale I'm going 20 long (if not an E) or 20 high/29 gallon depending. Posts like this give me hope!

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:45 am

Oh... I really want to add a wheel, but have seen so much conflicting info from hanging upside down to the ones I saw at Petco (plastic) that have a stand that they should be able to climb into and get some more exercise. I've searched here, but may make a new post on the wheel setup. Appreciate the pictures!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:01 am

Kydra wrote:Oh... I really want to add a wheel, but have seen so much conflicting info from hanging upside down to the ones I saw at Petco (plastic) that have a stand that they should be able to climb into and get some more exercise. I've searched here, but may make a new post on the wheel setup. Appreciate the pictures!
I can post some pictures of mine if it helps. I used command hooks the first round, and they kept falling. This time I zip tied it and its secure!!!

They love the inside, outside, the back, and even hanging out at the top where the stand is hung!!

The craft mesh is attached with jute twine, because I didnt have zip ties at the time. Its held strong for about a year now!

I got the biggest available, but size really depends on your crabs and your tank. It's all preference really.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:57 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:01 am
I can post some pictures of mine if it helps. I used command hooks the first round, and they kept falling. This time I zip tied it and its secure!!!

They love the inside, outside, the back, and even hanging out at the top where the stand is hung!!

The craft mesh is attached with jute twine, because I didnt have zip ties at the time. Its held strong for about a year now!

I got the biggest available, but size really depends on your crabs and your tank. It's all preference really.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Thank you. The last time I was in Petco I saw a plastic hamster wheel with a stand type thing that looked like I could just sit it in an aquarium that they could just climb into and run in circles if they wanted to, but I've read so much about hanging the wheels that I was a bit confused.

Would the wheel with the stand be OK or do these just not work for whatever reason? I'm only working with 10 gallons so, while I want this now, waiting for a molter in iso and another dollar a gallon sale (unless I get too impatient). I have been checking for used aquariums, but some prices for a plane tank don't even make sense considering the Petco deal every few months and the cost new.

Anyway, yes, this is something I'm looking to have as soon as I upgrade. Would be good exercise for them I'd think. Thoughts on the type of wheel I'm describing? If I have to buy a different type wheel and hang I will; pics would def help if that's the case. No rush. If you get the chance I will check back. Thanks again.

PS - Apologies for hijacking to the OP!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:52 am

Kydra wrote: Thank you. The last time I was in Petco I saw a plastic hamster wheel with a stand type thing that looked like I could just sit it in an aquarium that they could just climb into and run in circles if they wanted to, but I've read so much about hanging the wheels that I was a bit confused.

Would the wheel with the stand be OK or do these just not work for whatever reason? I'm only working with 10 gallons so, while I want this now, waiting for a molter in iso and another dollar a gallon sale (unless I get too impatient). I have been checking for used aquariums, but some prices for a plane tank don't even make sense considering the Petco deal every few months and the cost new.

Anyway, yes, this is something I'm looking to have as soon as I upgrade. Would be good exercise for them I'd think. Thoughts on the type of wheel I'm describing? If I have to buy a different type wheel and hang I will; pics would def help if that's the case. No rush. If you get the chance I will check back. Thanks again.

PS - Apologies for hijacking to the OP!
Most of us hang our wheels just out of convenience. I get tired of picking up stuff the crabs knocked over, so I basically hang whatever I can. ImageImage they tend to tear up the tank with their nightly parties! My original 10 had stuff sitting everywhere and they were constantly making a mess of it so once I upgraded I started hanging what I could.

No apologizes needed!!! Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:27 pm

@Kydra - they are the same wheels. When used properly for hamsters (and they can be used for hermit crabs the same way) the stand is on the ground. When hung with command strips, the wheel is turned upside down. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:33 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:27 pm
@Kydra - they are the same wheels. When used properly for hamsters (and they can be used for hermit crabs the same way) the stand is on the ground. When hung with command strips, the wheel is turned upside down. :)
Still catching up on everything (besides the basics at this point) so appreciate the info. Looking forward to upgrading! Thank you. 👍👍