New Crab Introduced

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
LeonardoDaPinchi

New Crab Introduced

Post by LeonardoDaPinchi » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:59 pm

I just introduced a new crab into my crabitat since one of my first 2 crabs passed away. The new crab and old one are close in size. I placed old crab in the drinking water followed by new crab. They're both now in the corner of the tank. How would I know if the crabs are getting along fine? What signs of fighting/not getting along are there and how would I fix this?

Hermiesguardian

Re: New Crab Introduced

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:38 pm

There may be some wiggling of antennea or grabbing of the other's shell but unless the grabber keeps holding on and shakes the other one or tries to to get him out of the shell they should be ok. As long as your conditions are right, with plenty of calcium and protein and extra shells they should be fine.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Scarletfire

Re: New Crab Introduced

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:38 am

When I first introduced some newly adopted crabs, I dipped them on freshwater, then set on the ground. The old one was wiggling their antenna a lot, and the new one scurried to the opposite side of the tank. They're best friends since with matching tapestry shells,and occasionally going in opposite directions on the hamster wheel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk