Stubborn E

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Stubborn E

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:54 pm

Y'all! I have given my E a TON of shell options! Different kinds of shells, different openings, different sizes... HE. HAS. OPTIONS!
and the little stinker refuses to change! He literally can NOT retract into his shell because he's so big, and he's just being stubborn! Also he's the only one up for the last couple of months. Lol
Check out all his options!

I knew Es have a reputation of being stubborn, but I didnt realize they were THIS hard headed lol.
Anyways, here's a pic of the precious little stink that wont change shells lol

Just wanted to share my "ugh!" Moment with yall lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

RiNiKy506

Re: Stubborn E

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:17 pm

I have two like that and it drives me crazy! He tried a green turbo on and then decided to stuff himself back into his old shell. It reminded me of a person trying to put on a pair of jeans that were 4 sizes too small! Lol!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:46 pm

Yes! That crazy E literally folded himself up in order to somehow wedge the shell back on! That was too funny RiNiKy! I remember that but I’m not sure I still have it but I know you sent me a clip!

I have 1/5 Es that have changed shells, all my others are still in their original shells, still waiting to see what my stinks decide to settle on!!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

RiNiKy506

Stubborn E

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 am

Lol! I’ve also wondered is it possible for them to get stuck in their own shells? I know with them being forced into wet painted shells they can, but growing too big into a natural one, I’ve wondered.

hayhay528

Post by hayhay528 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 pm

I don’t think it’s stubborn as much as it’s preference. They prefer smaller shells because they can run fast away from predators while PPs prefer big shells to hide in. Honestly if it was me I’d rather a small, light weight shell over lugging around my entire house on my back.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:18 pm

I don’t know if I’d prefer to fold my abdomen in half to keep it in my shell. Lol! @Overmountain1, post a pic of BigE in his old shell! Lol!

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:36 am

Where do y’all find the e’s? Sigh.....nothing but pps anywhere around Nj that I’ve found anyways...I love my pps but really want 2 es one day....
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Overmountain1

Stubborn E

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 pm

@RiNiKy found some randomly in her pet shop one day when she went in, and since she knew I wanted some, she immediately texted me and asked how many I wanted! ImageImage @RiNiKy506 is the best!! Image So that’s how we got ours. I drove up her way and we finally got to meet. (Awesome!)
And silly James before he finally got a new shell.... omg he was driving me nuts. Let me tell you, I’ve got at least 30-40 options of all sizes and shapes and types etc! Crazy crazy Es.

Here are a couple of crazy E pics I did find!! Here is one of my current ones taken today- find some new pants buddy!!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:35 pm

I am having the same problem currently. I went into a petstore to get a friend and, while only originally planning to get a small PP that was very active, I saw this poor baby in a painted shell with a little PP next to him. I glared at the employee before decided that I was going to get all three (I can't not pity them). So, I took them all home to my PP in the 10g, who seemed wary at first (I felt bad for leaving the other three behind at the pet store; Pet Supplies Plus doesn't have good homes for the crabbies). But then, the one I believe is an E (wow, I was so happy- he's tan with a foggy blue color on his legs and no purple claw, but a red leg) changed out of the painted one -yay!- but then into the smallest one he could fit in. And there was so many other shells to choose from! So whenever I see him crawling around, I think, "Pull up your pants, dude!" :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

RiNiKy506

Stubborn E

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:06 am

I can’t ever get over James and that tiny shell! Lol!
Crabby7, that’s cool you found an E like that, super good luck! We think we have the perfect shell (or shells) and they just don’t change until they’re good and ready or pick the last one we ever thought they would. It’s just one more thing that makes them so interesting. ;)

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:41 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:06 am
I can’t ever get over James and that tiny shell! Lol!
Crabby7, that’s cool you found an E like that, super good luck! We think we have the perfect shell (or shells) and they just don’t change until they’re good and ready or pick the last one we ever thought they would. It’s just one more thing that makes them so interesting. ;)
True! But yeah, I was super hype about finally getting an E. Where I am there's just poor PP's, so e's are extremely rare. I can't believe I bought one without knowing it. The first time I took him out he just sat as curled up as much as he could in his small shell on my palm (I was lurking on HCA while doing so). I held him and breathed on him(that sounds weird, lol. Don't worry; I don't take my hermies out and intensely breathe on them). It took him a good fifteen minutes to peek out. My, he's beautiful. I'll have to upload a picture soon! I think he was manhandled when at the petstore, so he was nervous. I used my finger and kind of wiggled it at him like someone did on here (the hermit crab whisperer...) and he came out and crawled on my hand. He's so sweet, my George Washington, even if he's stubborn. He's been hiding in a small hermie hut with all my others; they're probably hatching some evil plan. But today I saw Hoodini come out, and then Aaron Burr, another PP, quater sized, came out, following Hoodini like a puppydog. Hoodini, the piggy he is, ate some food(he loves the Fluker's calciums i got them (even though they raised the price $8 >:v)) and then they both went to the saltwater pool for a minute or two before going back to the party, lol. My other tiny PP Jubali made a window (he's done it two other times) and George Washington dug hole at the entrace last time I checked. I had asked a question on a topic I posted about this- if you guys have any ideas on what they're doing in there please let me know on that topic (Party in the coconut hut is what it's called, I think). Thanks! :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺