Crab burried shell and all

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
accidentalcrabbist2

Crab burried shell and all

Post by accidentalcrabbist2 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:34 pm

We got two new crab friends for our 1st hermit crab. The first night, one of the new ones buried himself shell and all. Is he molting or getting ready to molt? or just hiding?

CrabbyLover77

Re: Crab burried shell and all

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:17 pm

accidentalcrabbist2 wrote:We got two new crab friends for our 1st hermit crab. The first night, one of the new ones buried himself shell and all. Is he molting or getting ready to molt? or just hiding?
Hi! Image
Since he's new, there could be a couple of options. If he never had the chance to molt (not kept in the proper conditions), he could be getting ready to do it now. The new crabby could also just be destressing. Crabs go through a lot when they are plucked from the wild and thrown into the pet trade. When I adopted my crab Petunia, she went under the first night and didn't come back up for 7 weeks. She changed shells right after she came up. I haven't seen her much again recently.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav