How long is too long?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
accidentalcrabbist2

How long is too long?

Post by accidentalcrabbist2 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:19 pm

My crabs have been hidden in the substrate for almost 12 weeks now? Are they molting or possibly dead? No smell really other than the food, do they hibernate?

Crabby in NJ

Re: How long is too long?

Post by Crabby in NJ » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:08 pm

U should really read the care sheet on molting as well as whatever info they have on stress. It could be soo many things. Not enough info to really say but I’m no expert either. Wishing u the best and hope someone else chimes in with more info!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:57 pm

They will come up when they are ready. I've had crabs down for months. Don't dig, just be patient

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
accidentalcrabbist2

Post by accidentalcrabbist2 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:23 pm

They are in a six inch substrate of coconut shavings and sand mix. They are in a 10 gallon tank. They have fresh and salt water. The feeding has pretty much stopped as they have been missing in action. Just keep misting then...we live in southern United States so our house is at 70/71.

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:12 pm

accidentalcrabbist2 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:23 pm
They are in a six inch substrate of coconut shavings and sand mix. They are in a 10 gallon tank. They have fresh and salt water. The feeding has pretty much stopped as they have been missing in action. Just keep misting then...we live in southern United States so our house is at 70/71.
A lot of crabs are more active at night, so just be wary of the possibility that they could come up overnight and search for food. They're most likely molting, but just a warning, in case!

Does 70 degrees reflect the temp of their tank as well?
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

PattyJ4437

Post by PattyJ4437 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:00 pm

My pp crabs are more active at night. But here are some guidelines:

Small crabs about the size of a quarter will bury up to a month, 3-4 times per year. Medium crabs about the size of a golf ball will bury for 1-2 months, 1-2 times per year. Large crabs about the size of a tennis ball will bury for 2-3 months, 1 time per year. Jumbo crabs about the size of a baseball or larger will bury for 3 months, 1 time per year or year and a half.

I also read on another site if conditions are not right for molting, they will produce an enzyme that keeps them from molting until conditions are favorable. if conditions to not improve they can go into a long hibernation and possibly end up with health issues. I'm new to the site, but not to hermit crabs, I hope I am not worrying you.