Sad Crabs

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Re: Sad Crabs

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm

The TV faces away from them so the light wouldn’t be an issue. I was thinking if the noise or radiation would affect them. It isn’t a high-traffic area either. I would download Tapatalk but the first time I downloaded it I got spam emails constantly
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:31 am

I’ll download it anyway tho. According to my WyzeCam activity feed, they didn’t move the whole night :(
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:15 pm

There is no food or water because I was changing it
Crabbing for 4 years!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:17 pm

You have a beautiful tank! Did you say what the temperature was? Maybe try to raise it a little more?
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:32 am

It’s usually 75 at night and 85 at day. It was low in the picture because I had to open the lid to replace the food
Crabbing for 4 years!

Links

Post by Links » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 pm

Do you think the 75° nights would cause inactivity. I’m wondering if my crabs do much at night because they are active during the day. My temps are 78 at night and 81 day. I can get me day higher if needed but I wasn’t sure about having temps swing that much. I’ve noticed on Caribbean islands temps can vary by 10° from high to lows but near the water or in the water the temp seems to be closer to 80 and doesn’t seem to deviate much. So I don’t know what’s best. JJAussiedude said he was ok with my temps but I only have PP’s. Also my temps are taken from what I think is the coolest spot in my tank. So near the heater (back glass) will be warmer than 78 at night.
Anyways I’m just thinking and trying to help. Maybe someone that knows more than me can give some insight if it’s needed.

Edit : I should be getting a camera with night vision soon so I will be able to see what’s going on at night

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:27 pm

Links wrote:Do you think the 75° nights would cause inactivity. I’m wondering if my crabs do much at night because they are active during the day. My temps are 78 at night and 81 day. I can get me day higher if needed but I wasn’t sure about having temps swing that much. I’ve noticed on Caribbean islands temps can vary by 10° from high to lows but near the water or in the water the temp seems to be closer to 80 and doesn’t seem to deviate much. So I don’t know what’s best. JJAussiedude said he was ok with my temps but I only have PP’s. Also my temps are taken from what I think is the coolest spot in my tank. So near the heater (back glass) will be warmer than 78 at night.
Anyways I’m just thinking and trying to help. Maybe someone that knows more than me can give some insight if it’s needed.

Edit : I should be getting a camera with night vision soon so I will be able to see what’s going on at night
Seventy-five at night won’t cause a drop in activity. My thermostat is one-temp only so my tank is 75-77 all the time in winter and 80-85 in summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Links

Post by Links » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Ok good now I feel better again. Thanks Joe!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Yeah-- thank you Joe! Now I only have purple pinchers and I'm happy at least they're still able to run around. My tank's typically 76, 75 at night as well in the winter and for the time being. I stress a lot over their gills and them having enough heat, but now that I don't have to worry about my E (he's in Hermie Heaven now (I can rest easy knowing they'll still be able to be active (my humidity is always above 78, been in the 80s).
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon May 04, 2020 7:30 am

Can anyone help me? they barely move at night and I don’t know why. And for the people who asked to see my tank I posted it earlier
Crabbing for 4 years!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon May 04, 2020 10:31 am

I see nothing wrong with your tank. Considering your conditions are pristine you may just have lazy crabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon May 04, 2020 10:33 am

Maybe, but a few months ago they were always active

Edit:a word
Crabbing for 4 years!