$1/gallon sale at Petco

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Kydra

Re: $1/gallon sale at Petco

Post by Kydra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:30 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:07 am
I'm not sure if the sale is going on now. I usually get an email from Petco about it if it is. But I'm planning to use my spare 55 gal and upgrade this week. I'm going to grab the glass tops from That Pet Place. There's 2 of them total since there is a center brace on the top. They're about $36:
https://www.thatpetplace.com/marineland ... -48in-13in
Not sure if I'm going to actually go to the store or order them though. I ordered my 40 gal breeder glass top from them a few years back and it showed up broken, twice, thanks to Fed Ex.
If I get a Petco or PetSmart email about a sale I'll def post it here so you can see. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info and lid options. Was on their website (Petco) and def looks like it's on... see if I can screenshot and switch to tapatalk...

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Edit: This just shows the $1 sale, but they have the usual discounts on larger tanks as well with this sale...

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:05 pm

Kydra wrote: Thanks for the info and lid options. Was on their website (Petco) and def looks like it's on... see if I can screenshot and switch to tapatalk...
No prob. Image I'm not sure if I'll be able to do my upgrade this week. Image A lot of places in my area are shutting down/closing because of the virus. Hopefully Lowe's/Home Depot will stay open so I can get sand. I'll probably order my lid and other supplies. I hope you can get your upgrade done!

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Good luck. I'm sure you'll keep us posted. I will as things evolve. Same here in NJ. Was hoping to start tomorrow. Slept all day after long work weekend... now everything closes at 8PM. Curfew from 8PM-5AM here starting today apparently. Haven't gotten to the news yet though. Just getting a lot of texts!

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Kydra wrote:Good luck. I'm sure you'll keep us posted. I will as things evolve. Same here in NJ. Was hoping to start tomorrow. Slept all day after long work weekend... now everything closes at 8PM. Curfew from 8PM-5AM here starting today apparently. Haven't gotten to the news yet though. Just getting a lot of texts!

Thanks! Good luck to you too. There's no curfew here yet that I know of. We can't eat-in in restaurants, but take out is still available, stuff like that. I hope it all works out on your end too.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:02 pm

Kydra wrote:Good luck. I'm sure you'll keep us posted. I will as things evolve. Same here in NJ. Was hoping to start tomorrow. Slept all day after long work weekend... now everything closes at 8PM. Curfew from 8PM-5AM here starting today apparently. Haven't gotten to the news yet though. Just getting a lot of texts!

How are you making out with your upgrade?
I was able to get my 6 bags of sand and egg crate at Lowe's, and the rest of my supplies from Amazon. They even delivered a day earlier than planned. I'm working on filling the tank now and calibrating my new hygrometer. I hope you're doing ok!

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:05 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:02 pm
How are you making out with your upgrade?
I was able to get my 6 bags of sand and egg crate at Lowe's, and the rest of my supplies from Amazon. They even delivered a day earlier than planned. I'm working on filling the tank now and calibrating my new hygrometer. I hope you're doing ok!

I'm just a bit jealous 😋. I've been super busy as a healthcare worker in NJ with all that's going on. Barely have my eyes open at the moment. We have a "stay at home" in place and a curfew, but I do believe that both Petco and Home Depot are still open as essential businesses though so hopefully I can get started soon; just need the free time.

Thinking I can run into Petco grab the tank and a few UTHs then to Home Depot for a few bags of sand, but at this rate I'm hoping to be able to next week. As of now, I do have a few days off next week. Have to check the sale dates again. Honestly, I have to read back to see what size tank you upgraded to, but that's awesome 😎. Glad you are making progress.

Hope you, and everyone, are staying safe! Post some pics when you are finished!! Would love to see.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:22 am

Kydra wrote: I'm just a bit jealous Image. I've been super busy as a healthcare worker in NJ with all that's going on. Barely have my eyes open at the moment. We have a "stay at home" in place and a curfew, but I do believe that both Petco and Home Depot are still open as essential businesses though so hopefully I can get started soon; just need the free time.

Thinking I can run into Petco grab the tank and a few UTHs then to Home Depot for a few bags of sand, but at this rate I'm hoping to be able to next week. As of now, I do have a few days off next week. Have to check the sale dates again. Honestly, I have to read back to see what size tank you upgraded to, but that's awesome Image. Glad you are making progress.

Hope you, and everyone, are staying safe! Post some pics when you are finished!! Would love to see.
I totally understand! Thank you for putting yourself out there to help others during these crazy times. Just make sure you take care of yourself too!
Our Petco and Home Depot stores are open too, but the hours are cut short (both are only open til 6pm). I'm also in one of the PA counties ordered to "stay at home".
I bought 6 bags of sand and a 24 quart bag of loose EE for my 55 gal. I only used half of the EE bag and 2.5 bags of sand (using the 5:1 ratio). It got me about 10" total of substrate. So now I have three unopened 50 lb bags of sand just hanging out in the living room lol. Too bad you don't live nearby, I'd give them to you. I'm def not lugging those back to Lowe's. I have about 25 lbs of open sand I put into ziplock bags to keep just in case.
I posted pics in another post under the "Pictures" section if you want to check them out. I'm sure I'll add or move stuff around though.
You stay safe too and get some rest!! Image

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:30 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:22 am
I totally understand! Thank you for putting yourself out there to help others during these crazy times. Just make sure you take care of yourself too!
Our Petco and Home Depot stores are open too, but the hours are cut short (both are only open til 6pm). I'm also in one of the PA counties ordered to "stay at home".
I bought 6 bags of sand and a 24 quart bag of loose EE for my 55 gal. I only used half of the EE bag and 2.5 bags of sand (using the 5:1 ratio). It got me about 10" total of substrate. So now I have three unopened 50 lb bags of sand just hanging out in the living room lol. Too bad you don't live nearby, I'd give them to you. I'm def not lugging those back to Lowe's. I have about 25 lbs of open sand I put into ziplock bags to keep just in case.
I posted pics in another post under the "Pictures" section if you want to check them out. I'm sure I'll add or move stuff around though.
You stay safe too and get some rest!! Image

It's what I signed up for! And just want to thank you and those that are following orders to keep us all safe. I had to make a "quick" run to drop off medical supplies and was in bumper to bumper traffic... thinking "Are you kidding me?" Realized was caused by an accident and I truly hope those involved weren't injured... I also hope that their reason for being on the road was important as well. Ended up having to rush supplies to one place then head to hospital as was starting another shift. So all of us can help by just following your states orders. Appreciate the kind words! 💙

Thanks for the info on the stores which is likely to be similar here. I'm in South Jersey so we may not be too far from each other! I was looking to go 55G as well. So for substrate, seems I'd need 3 bags of sand and 1 bag of EE (I prefer loose EE)? With sand @ <$5 a bag though, think I can manage but thanks! Maybe hold onto the extra sand just in case? Will def take a look at your pictures in a few. Finishing up some things right now.

I was chatting with work friends last night and this came up... I'm at a 20G long now and was offered this today when I mentioned I planned on purchasing a larger tank and not sure if I should go with this or just purchase a 55G. The 55G would fit perfectly where the 20G is now; I'm not sure on this one. Let me know what you think. Would have to really get it clean and remove the back/wallpaper for the UTHs. (Going to switch to tapatalk to post the pictures I received.)

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Here are the pics...

ImageImageImage

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:48 am

Using a tank calculator that comes out to to 47.6 gallons. I actually prefer the extra width rather than length for decorating. Our 65 is similar in size, only taller.

It is always a pain to clean tanks, but if it comes with the stand and the lid you save yourself around $200!

I like to sketch my tank layouts close to scale before I start building. Top and front view. That way you can play around with a few ideas.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm

The measurements make it a standard 40 gallon.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Kydra wrote:Here are the pics...

ImageImageImage
That's a shame about the accident. Sure hope they were ok. My Mom is hoping to be able to file for unemployment after the stimulus is passed and signed. She has a small cleaning business and is losing people left and right. Normally she wouldn't be entitled to unemployment, but this stimulus/bill says self employed will be able to file now. Fingers crossed!

I think 3 bags of sand and a 24 qt bag of loose EE should get the job done. I went with the guidelines for one 50lb bag of sand for every 10 gals, so that's why I got 6 bags. I also prefer the loose EE. I hate soaking the bricks and trying to mix that in. I mixed 2.5 cups of sand and .5 cups of EE with dechlorinated water, and then dumped it in. I was doing the 5:1 all together at first, but it was a pain to mix. It was easier to split it up. I got my loose ZooMed EE from Amazon. I feed the birds at my house and get a lot of Carolina Wrens. Wrens like to take little sand "baths", so I think I'll save some and put a little dish out for them. Image

I would def take the tank and stand from the coworker if it's free. You can try to clean it up, and if it doesn't work, then you can always go out and buy the 55gal. Keep me updated on what you decide!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm
The measurements make it a standard 40 gallon.
I don't know why those online calculators are always off! Unless I just always seem to find the bad ones. You are the queen when it comes to judging tank sizes from pictures without and dimensions! 8)
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 pm
I don't know why those online calculators are always off! Unless I just always seem to find the bad ones. You are the queen when it comes to judging tank sizes from pictures without and dimensions! 8)
Some it has to do with the thickness of the glass and the framing throwing off the measurements, and no one thinks to check the inside where the water fills. Mostly it has to do with the "standard" sizes not being exactly as listed. The larger tanks are really misleading, rather than gaining a few extra gallons, they loose several! I've been collecting tanks for a decade now, and after a few bad calls early on learned fast to make sure stuff really was the deal that it seemed. Not many people have a floor-to-ceiling room stuffed with tanks (with more in storage), thank goodness! 😬
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram