An Update - Providing some Closure

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
BlookittiePC

An Update - Providing some Closure

Post by BlookittiePC » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:40 pm

Hi all,
I haven't been active for a very long time on this forum, and my last posts were on my topic in Molting where I was worried about my little crab who had been down for five months (the topic is called "It's Been a While...") I wanted to update how it ended, because I've seen so many posts like that just end without any closure.
It was about mid-July, and my one crab, Jarvis, came up from a molt. My other crab, Friday, had been down since before Christmas 2019. I had been waiting to upgrade for a very long time, and I felt like it was unfair to keep Jarvis in the 10g. So, I gathered the materials and my dad and I began the upgrade. Jarvis and all the decorations were removed, and my dad brought the old tank outside to dig while I worked inside on the new tank. My dad came back later with the sub from the old tank, and a bowl of all the things the crabs had buried. Unfortunately, he found Friday's shell, but never found her body (and he promised me that he sifted through a couple times).
So, I moved everything into the new tank (29g), and Jarvis loves it. The first thing he did was fall into the new water bowls. A week or so later I added the hammock, and that has been his favorite spot since then. He went down to molt in mid-September, and came back a few days ago. He is doing very well.
We still don't really know what happened to Friday. The temperature and humidity were always fine. Jarvis never expressed any aggression towards her above ground, and the fact that Jarvis is doing well just doesn't add up. I also can't just blame PPS, because I had her for a year and a half already, and multiple successful molts in the past.
Anyway, I just wanted to provide some closure. Jarvis will probably live as a single crab for a while, until I can bring myself to get him a friend. I've been really busy with school, so I'll probably just lurk on the forums for a while. I hope everyone is doing well, and Happy Thanksgiving to anyone else in America.
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

doth

Re: An Update - Providing some Closure

Post by doth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:36 am

sorry for your loss. something similar happened with one of my crabs last year. it is always hard not knowing what happened. sounds like jarvis is enjoying the upgrade though!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:15 am

Sorry to hear about Friday. Sometimes there really is no obvious explanation as to why a pet passes away.
Thank you for the update.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:19 pm

Its disheartening, but the best you can do is try to give the best possible conditions for Jarvis! ^_^ im sure he is loving the new digs though!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 pm

Thanks everyone :) Jarvis is does really love the new tank- the second level hammock is his favorite thing!
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!