where are your crabs?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
crabs_lex

Re: where are your crabs?

Post by crabs_lex » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:25 pm
Yeah, I think the only way to do it would be to empty the tank and prepare to isolate molters if necessary. Image
You're not a bad crab Mom! There was someone on here I talked to a year ago who said they name all of their hermits "crab" because they can't tell them apart lol! I just bought 2 of those carved shells with dolphins on them from Naples. Of course, 2 of the crabs in my 20 gal moved into each one. Now I'm so confused, they look the same lol! So don't worry, you're not the only one who gets mixed up! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
that makes me feel a little bit better thanks!
like it doesn’t help that 3 out of 4 of my crabs in the 20 gal are all in pearl shells😂

but yeah i guess i will be moving the 55 gal to the basement when i have some time wish me luck! i really hope this will work smoothly and they will be okay down there it makes me so anxious!!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 pm

crabs_lex wrote: that makes me feel a little bit better thanks!
like it doesn’t help that 3 out of 4 of my crabs in the 20 gal are all in pearl shellsImage

but yeah i guess i will be moving the 55 gal to the basement when i have some time wish me luck! i really hope this will work smoothly and they will be okay down there it makes me so anxious!!
Haha Yw! Image
Good luck! If/when you do it, let me know how you make out! Image

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 pm
Haha Yw! Image
Good luck! If/when you do it, let me know how you make out! Image

ofc thank you!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:57 pm

crabs_lex wrote: ofc thank you!

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:15 am

curlysister wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 pm
My tank is 55 gallons. I have two crabs.
I have two of the UTH on the back, and one on each side. Only two of them can be insulated, the other two are Zoo Med and can't be insulated over top.
Wow! Im sure your crabs are loving all that space:)
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:53 am

Definitely don’t feel bad about not being able to tell them apart! I have 3 that are practically identical in coloring and size and then of course, they all like very similar shells, lol. I also bought a couple carved ones in hopes to tell them apart, but of course they don’t want to change into the ones that will make it easy on me. It’s like having triplets that like to trick me. Guess who?! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 pm

crabbycasey wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:53 am
Definitely don’t feel bad about not being able to tell them apart! I have 3 that are practically identical in coloring and size and then of course, they all like very similar shells, lol. I also bought a couple carved ones in hopes to tell them apart, but of course they don’t want to change into the ones that will make it easy on me. It’s like having triplets that like to trick me. Guess who?! Lol

they just love making life harder don’t they ! LOL how many crabs total do you have ? i think i remember u saying u have a 40 gal but can’t recall how many u have
i just remember seeing how amazing your tank is!

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm

crabs_lex wrote: they just love making life harder don’t they ! LOL how many crabs total do you have ? i think i remember u saying u have a 40 gal but can’t recall how many u have
i just remember seeing how amazing your tank is!
Thank you so much, I love decorating the tanks! Yes, I do have a 40g breeder...with 7 (I think) crabs. Now I sound like a bad crab mom, lol. Hermione is my biggest and she’s pushing large I think. Then I have 4 mediums, Sandy, Gary, Flash & Turbo. They were all under at once not so long ago and that’s when I added my small girl, Ruby and then my teeny guy, Tiny (who I haven’t seen since the night I put him in the tank...reason I don’t know how many I have). He’s had to have been under and it’s been 6 weeks, feel like he’d have come up by now being so teeny. Staying hopeful though! Only been crabbing since Sept of last year, lol, but I just love my little crab family! ImageImageImage

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:40 pm

crabbycasey wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm
Thank you so much, I love decorating the tanks! Yes, I do have a 40g breeder...with 7 (I think) crabs. Now I sound like a bad crab mom, lol. Hermione is my biggest and she’s pushing large I think. Then I have 4 mediums, Sandy, Gary, Flash & Turbo. They were all under at once not so long ago and that’s when I added my small girl, Ruby and then my teeny guy, Tiny (who I haven’t seen since the night I put him in the tank...reason I don’t know how many I have). He’s had to have been under and it’s been 6 weeks, feel like he’d have come up by now being so teeny. Staying hopeful though! Only been crabbing since Sept of last year, lol, but I just love my little crab family! ImageImageImage

well it’s great to know how much you care for them and how much you have learned in a short time!! but yes ah i wouldn’t worry about ur teeny bc i’ve had two teeny crabs do the same thing
my smaller crabs honestly seem to like to be constantly underground more often than the larger ones
i love redecorating my tanks too like i have to hold myself back from doing it every day!
i am turning my 20 gal long to a 29 gal and using egg crate in it and am so excited!!!
i know you’re an excellent decorator so if u have any ideas i would gladly take them :)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:55 pm

HappyHermit0916 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:15 am
Wow! Im sure your crabs are loving all that space:)
Yeah, I thought about getting more crabs, but there aren't a lot around here to be honest. I did get a third when I had the 20 gallon, but they died of PPS. The two have been happy enough, I suppose, so I never got another one. I still can't believe that they survived their original home. They were in a 10 gallon (which was fine, they were small) with no sand, no heat, no humidity, a bowl of tap water, and a nectarine pit and some potato chips to eat. The lady sold the tank and the two crabs for 20 bucks, because her kid was 'tired of them'.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:22 am

curlysister wrote: Yeah, I thought about getting more crabs, but there aren't a lot around here to be honest. I did get a third when I had the 20 gallon, but they died of PPS. The two have been happy enough, I suppose, so I never got another one. I still can't believe that they survived their original home. They were in a 10 gallon (which was fine, they were small) with no sand, no heat, no humidity, a bowl of tap water, and a nectarine pit and some potato chips to eat. The lady sold the tank and the two crabs for 20 bucks, because her kid was 'tired of them'.
Well they certainly have a great home now! Image

I have a friend who recently rescued a box turtle. It lived on a piece of carpet for 30 years, not able to dig or hide. Now Ed (the turtle) has an awesome outside and inside enclosure and gets lots of love. It's a wonder how these creatures ever survive what they are put through!

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:37 am

curlysister wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:55 pm
Yeah, I thought about getting more crabs, but there aren't a lot around here to be honest. I did get a third when I had the 20 gallon, but they died of PPS. The two have been happy enough, I suppose, so I never got another one. I still can't believe that they survived their original home. They were in a 10 gallon (which was fine, they were small) with no sand, no heat, no humidity, a bowl of tap water, and a nectarine pit and some potato chips to eat. The lady sold the tank and the two crabs for 20 bucks, because her kid was 'tired of them'.
that's so sad 😢 thanks for giving them a good home!
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:22 am

They are tough for sure...and seem sensitive at the same time, haha.

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:17 pm

i just set up the 55 gal with all of my bigger guys!!
i just have to put water bowls in and add maybe a few more things but let me know what u think

it was super hard bringing this tank downstairs but i think it was worth it!

edit: sorry the pic isn’t the best quality but you get the gist lol!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:31 pm

crabs_lex wrote:i just set up the 55 gal with all of my bigger guys!!
i just have to put water bowls in and add maybe a few more things but let me know what u think

it was super hard bringing this tank downstairs but i think it was worth it!

edit: sorry the pic isn’t the best quality but you get the gist lol!
It looks great! Image
Did you have to take the sand out to move it? If not, then you must be Superwoman lol!