My crab might be sick or wounded

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:22 pm

My crab, sharkbait looks like he has a big welt on his big claw and his pincher looks hurt. He is also is very pale he is usually a beautiful bright red. If you have any idea of what is going on please let me know and tell me what I can do to help my hermie thank you!
If you could explain to me how to post a pic from an I phone I could try to post some pics

CallaLily

Re: My crab might be sick or wounded

Post by CallaLily » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:50 pm

If you can get Tapatalk, you should be able to post a pic through them. (I say should because I'm having a few problems on my phone with Tapatalk, one of them being it won't let me share pics)
How long have you had him? When was his last molt with you? Is he acting weak or does he seem fine other than being pale and the possible injury?

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:55 pm

I have had sharkbait for about 6 months. His latest molt was about two months ago. His behavior and activity seems normal, I haven't noticed anything different.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:43 pm

If you can share a pic that would help. If tapatalk isn't an option you can upload images to photobucket or the like and then copy and past the image code or just the link here to share.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Here are some pics
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:23 am

Wow, what a bruise! (Or at least that's what it looks like.) One of mine has a dark spot like that on it's leg and I read that sometimes they scrape themselves while they're soft from molting. The dark spot is like a scar and would go away after molting again. I've also read something about shell rot but I've never experienced that. I'm sure some more advanced crabbers can shed more light on the situation, though.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:55 am

Thank you soilentgringa

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:04 am

There's a lot going on there - not just the discolored area, but what looks like either a crushing pinch injury or old exo that is stuck to the surface below it. I really think he just had a rough molt, which happens sometimes. He should be perfectly fine after his next molt. :) You'll need to make sure he's not accidentally bothered when he does molt again. Does he have tankmates, and how much space and substrate do they have?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Yes I have three crabs In total including sharkbait. They are in a ten gallon tank. I don't have an ISO tank yet. (Response to the questions above)
Last edited by kadynadair16 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:18 pm

wodesorel wrote:Does he have tankmates, and how much space and substrate do they have?

Clypeatus

Post by Clypeatus » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:04 pm

If I were you, I would put the crab in an isolation tank and feed it plenty of calcium foods, just in case it was shell disease. I've heard that is could spread to other crabs. The crab can be rid of it by molting. Here is some more information about it: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... ellrot.php
I have five hermit crabs: three Purple Pinchers , one Ecuadorians, and one unknown living in a 20 gallon crabitat.

Crabbing since spring of 2011.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Clypeatus wrote:If I were you, I would put the crab in an isolation tank and feed it plenty of calcium foods, just in case it was shell disease. I've heard that is could spread to other crabs. The crab can be rid of it by molting. Here is some more information about it: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... ellrot.php

I don't have an ISO tank right now, do you have any ideas on how I could separate him from the other crabs? Maybe a makeshift ISO tank?

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:22 pm

You can stick him in a tupperware in the main tank, just make sure he has room to dig and molt.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Should the tupperwAre have a lid on it?

gotta-crab-em-all

Post by gotta-crab-em-all » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:36 pm

kadynadair16 wrote:Should the tupperwAre have a lid on it?
A lid with enough holes poked into the top to make sure he has air flow. If you have a Kritter Keeper, those work wonderfully for isos that go inside of the main tank!
Shuckle (f), Clauncher (f), Omanyte (f), Weedle (f), Ralts (f) : 55gal Crabitat