How long for gel limbs to form?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
hermieluv1

How long for gel limbs to form?

Post by hermieluv1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:21 am

Curious, those of you who have had crabs with limbs missing: how long did it take for gel limbs to appear?

And how long after that for the first molt?

Thanks!

Lburns

Re: How long for gel limbs to form?

Post by Lburns » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:00 am

I'm new to crabbing so maybe I just didn't know exactly what to look for but... Batman, my first crab, was missing a leg when I found him. I had him for a month before he molted. Never noticed a gel limb form. It took him almost 2 months to molt. He came up with the leg regenerated. It looked really skinny at first but now, a month and a half after his molt, looks just like the leg on the other side. I got another crab last week that is missing a leg. He went down last night (I think for his first molt). Didn't notice a gel limb on him either. Again, I'm a newbie, but my guess is maybe sometimes the gel limb forms after they bury themselves??
4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:03 am

Sunshine was my crab that had almost no legs left. She had no gel legs when she wanted to be buried, a week later there were extremely well formed little gel limbs, and one week after that she had molted. It's usually a really quick process.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:03 am

Thank you! I think I can see them now, and it has been a week. She stopped eating and drinking but can't dig so I made her a cave and covered her up! Here is hoping she molts!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:34 am

Good luck!

Crabbers unite!!!