Swimming Naked

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Swimming Naked

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Dont worry this isn't an emergency, it happened a while ago. I found a crab swimming naked in a beta cube freshwater pool. It had a sturdy easy to climb plexi glass-needlpoint canvas wrapped ramp. I had seen all my crabs get in and out a million times without a problem. Then out of nowhere one of my Es is naked in the pool. I freaked out a bit but brought out a 10g ISO. It took me a while to reshell him because he didnt want to go back in. After a day or so in ISO he was hanging upside down from the silicone in the tank so i figured he was better lol. Since then i have gotten rid of the beta cube but would still like bigger pools.

Does anyone know why this happened? Or is this one of those instances where an E decided to risk his life just to scare the life out of me?

hermieluv1

Re: Swimming Naked

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:41 am

Could he have just lost the shell when he was climbing out? When mine soak in the pools, it seems like their shells, now full of water, are so heavy. I am amazed that more don't come out naked! At least he reshelled.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:09 am

Glad to hear he reshelled and is ok! A naked crab is always cause for concern but it can be difficult to know why exactly they've done it. Something could have been irritating him in his shell, he could have ditched it if he wasn't strong enough to get out of the pool with it, a shell fight, I think sometimes from overheating, or some other health issue. You did good acting quickly to get him to reshell! Maybe try a different, easier way out of the pool? A more gradual slope? Can you share a pic of the pool? If it's always been easy for the others, he may have something else going on. I would keep a close eye on him.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:16 pm

I took the pool out immediately after and replaced it with a smaller temporary one. And yeah after that i watched him like a hawk and he was his same dorky derpy self.