Ok, here goes :-)

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Re: Ok, here goes :-)

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:05 am

Fingers crossed...I've got 3 suction cup containers and they haven't pulled one down yet. Yet being the key word it seems

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:16 am

Oh my dear sweet...all 3 are out and about. At the same time! This never happens

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Very nice results! My tank is smaller (29g) but setting up one of those two-tiered corner shelves was a blessing: moss pit on the top tier, shell shop on the lower tier and a cholla branch for hiding behind underneath. I was initially concerned that the guys would hesitate to climb all the way up to the moss pit but that's where there's always a crab or two to be found! For easier access, I wrapped the shelf's legs in hemp twine but they all bypass the legs and reach the tiers via fish net or leaves/vines :lol: .

Re the glass stones in the pools: having something for crabbie feet to grab onto to help them navigate in the water is always a good idea, even when also offering vines and plants for easier ingress/egress. Slick glass stones, however, may not be your best option as they offer minimal traction for pointy feet. After trying different combinations, I've found that river pebbles ($1 a bag at the dollar store) plus a few of those flat "dish" shells (ridged side up) work best for my crabs.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm

I had gotten river rocks and glass stones that I'd already cleaned a while back so there's a mix in each pool now. Eventually I'm going to go with something totally different but didn't want anyone drowning while I figure out my pretty option

And I'm debating wrapping the legs of the shelves. I got some jute rope and was thinking of using that but I'm not quite sure how to secure it without silicone and I'm a little too impatient to wait for the silicone to dry

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 pm

meg_and_the_zoo wrote:And I'm debating wrapping the legs of the shelves. I got some jute rope and was thinking of using that but I'm not quite sure how to secure it without silicone and I'm a little too impatient to wait for the silicone to dry Image
I just knotted the twine at the bottom of the leg, tucked the long "tail" of the knot upward to hide it, then just tightly wound the twine around (and around and around and around.......), tying it off at the top of the leg and tucking that knot's "tail" down into the twine. It took about an hour to do the two legs but that was that: no silicone = no smell = no waiting for curing.
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Oh, I like that lol I may give that a whirl tonight when it's time to do some more work in there

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:39 am

ImageImageImageImage

Wrapped the corner shelving with the jute twine...much happier with the way it looks Image also added another corner caddy over water dishes to give a total of 3 shell shops and 3 moss pits. Will prob add a 4th pit...since all 3 slept in moss I'll venture a guess that they like it lol Added netting and wrapped pool ramps in cocofiber and jute so they're not obnoxious and yellow anymore. Plants tomorrow and then I'm done. That's done, right? Or will I be doing this daily now? ImageImage

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs Image

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:51 am

This beauty arrived today Image $6 on eBay...not great but it was so pretty I couldn't resist Image

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs Image

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:02 pm

The jute-wrap looks great and you'll find that that fish net is probably the best item you've purchased for the crabitat -- crabs simply love it! My guys are always on it, sometimes napping :lol: !

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:05 pm

They love the netting lol

Cumba

Post by Cumba » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:16 am

My crabs will literally sleep on stuff like that.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:02 pm

This morning one was passed out in the netting looking very awkward but hey...if they like it

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Thought a new crab called for me to actually install some of the greenery I've been avoiding ;-) Do y'all think this is too much? I'm a little worried that they don't have enough open walking space now...and I'm thinking the 55g I saw on CL for $50 this morning is looking mighty good Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 4 crabs (Balla, Spot, Twitch & Big Shug)

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:57 pm

I think it looks great! IMO it looks like they still have enough space for moving around & digging, and I've seen a lot of comments that crabs really like greenery (fake or otherwise) and it makes them braver since they have more cover to hide under while they move around. Makes sense to me, for prey animals. I have a lot in my tank too & they're still hiding quite a bit, but it's just my two smalls in for now (medium guy, Boromir, is in an ISO for molting) & they're still settling in after getting moved around a lot. So I can't blame them too much. Here's what mine looks like right now -

They still have walking space inside & around the cork log, and underneath the plants. I've seen evidence that they're chilling under the plants too, one of the crabs dragged half an eggshell under the fern-like plant at the bottom of the picture, next to the flower/leaf dish.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Sweet...thank you :-) I may switch some greens out for some other flowers I have somewhere to add some more color but Image

And I love what you did with the food dish and the flower wreath! Image

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 4 crabs (Balla, Spot, Twitch & Big Shug)