My CL post worked!!

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

My CL post worked!!

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:30 am

I posted on Craigslist a few days ago about being able to adopt unwanted hermits in my area. I figured nothing would come of it but lo and behold...I just got back from picking up a new dude (or dudette...not sure yet). The girl said she got 2 in Panama City Beach in February and one just died...doesn't have much time for them and was freaking out that this one would pass also. She said this one hasn't changed shells so fingers crossed he finds some new digs and buries for a molt. Gave him a little dunk and in the tank he went Image

Before:

After:

And I prepared a special meal of bugs, shrimp, pumpkin seeds, berry leaves, bee pollen and then honey and peanut butter sprinkled with calcium powder. And the piece de resistance...worm poop!! Image

I may need to order bigger shells though Image

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs Image

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Re: My CL post worked!!

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:08 pm

This dude is cracking me up! He's slowly exploring the depths of the tank under the corner shelves but almost every time I sneak over to check on him he scrambles to the glass and waves his antenna he doesn't seem skittish in the least which is kind of refreshing.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Congrats on the adoption! S/he has such a cute face. :D

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:45 pm

CallaLily wrote:Congrats on the adoption! S/he has such a cute face. :D
Doesn't he? Image he's been shell shopping for like 30 minutes now...literally going one shell to the next as he can reach one from on top of the last lol he's switched to a magpie and back but seems to be paying the magpies the most attention so far.

ImageImage

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 4 crabs (Balla, Spot, Twitch & Big Shug)

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:20 pm

He looks great! Congrats on the adoption :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:54 pm

He's, no joke, tried on all but 5 shells in the tank. And there are like 30 Image he's been in and out of this one and wore it for about an hour so fingers crossed since it's so pretty and too big for any of my others Image

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Congrats on saving the little soul! He probably thinks he's in crabbie heaven or at least the Crabbie Hilton: lots of shells to try on, nice substrate, netting to climb on and great room service food, too :D .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:20 pm

ImageImage I sure hope so...he's still wandering, took an unexpected dip in one of the pools lol so he gave it the evil eye for a while ;-)

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:47 am

meg_and_the_zoo wrote: Doesn't he? Image he's been shell shopping for like 30 minutes now...literally going one shell to the next as he can reach one from on top of the last lol he's switched to a magpie and back but seems to be paying the magpies the most attention so far.

ImageImage

ImageImageImage Would new dude be interested in this? Roughly 15/16"-1" opening. Toby came to me in it and didn't give it up easily but has since settled on a turbo.

Mommy of 12 PP babies - Baby, Toby, Sid, Matty, Junior, Kaylee, Aries, Adrian, Turbo, Flower, Boo and Freckles.
RIP Octavius
-

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:08 am

It's funny...he studied the magpies intensely and tried on practically every shell I own but he settled on a really pretty turbo and wore it for hours. But I just woke up to him lumbering around in a gigantic Apple murex Image he's very indecisive apparently ;-) I just got a decent shipment of magpies and had some from a craft store package that are pretty darn big. But thank you!! Image

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:23 am

I think they go into shell overdrive when we bring them home. With a shortage in the wild they don't get giant piles of suitable shells. Happy hermits. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:59 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:I think they go into shell overdrive when we bring them home. With a shortage in the wild they don't get giant piles of suitable shells. Happy hermits. :)

For sure. This morning he was up bright and early in a different shell than when I went to bed and then tried on 4 more before retiring for a nap in the flower pot Image I'm glad he's significantly larger than the rest of my crew or I'd never identify him at this rate.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:08 pm

I have trouble with a bunch of my middle size ones.

#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Thankfully (for now) there are only 4 and they have pretty distinct personalities so...fingers crossed ;-)

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:04 am

this new guy is a bit more destructive than I'm used to lol he's explored every nook and cranny of the tank, pulled down the temp and humidity gauges several times, upended the 2nd level moss pits (he digs under and walks along the bottom of the shower caddies whilst flinging moss out as he goes) and shown me that I need to shore up my net bridges for his fat butt he's quite the character although I hope he digs down soon...I'll miss his antics but I'd imagine he's in pretty dire need of a molt.