My CL post worked!!

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Re: My CL post worked!!

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:56 am

Ah, the best laid plans the jerky big guy is exactly that. I got the 20g setup and the littler guys moved there before I took cranky out of crab jail to go into the 40g. All above ground crabs had gotten a dip in the FW pool before introduction but he still made a beeline for 3 different crabs, immediately crawling on top of them and being very aggressive. He seemed to be all about their shells even though only one would have possibly fit him. So...I moved everyone else back to the 40g, redid the 20g a smidge and he's now back in jail but in the 20g instead of my small temp ISO bucket. I've got 8.5" of sub for him, a 2nd floor moss pit, FW and SW containers deep enough for him, some foliage, branches, a flower pot hide and a few extra shells. He's already changed shells but he keeps kind of rotating in the new shell. Is that how they modify them to fit best?

His nails are really dull and he's not very hairy so I'm hoping that now that he's alone with a few new shells he'll find one he likes and molt. And hopefully come up a happier, less crabby crab

As for the others, I've got 10 in the 40g now. 2 are under and the rest seem to have sorted out a system for the night. Sigh...hubs might have to be ok with an upgrade sooner lol

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 4 crabs (Balla, Spot, Twitch & Big Shug)

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:49 am

Sorry to hear about the troubles :( hope he calms down after a while!
My largest PP does that sometimes in new shells. He rotates so that his legs are facing the ceiling :shock: I don't really know what it is they're doing. I didn't think PPs modified shells, but I'm sure on that... :?:
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 am

I'm thinking the 2 really big ones didn't have any shell options at their previous residence. They were both switching like crazy so...I've got like 5-6 shells that are well sized for them & am going to order some more so they have plenty of choices and see if that helps. And let them gorge on good snacks for a few days and try again

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:51 pm

Can someone confirm volume for me?

I think that's like 140 gallons?

If so, I found the answer to my space issue lol

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:16 pm

Lookin like its 142.1 gallons. http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php
You provided measurements in inches:
Width: 48" (121.92cm)
Height: 57" (144.78cm)
Depth: 12" (30.48cm)
Your tank's volume is approximately 32,832.0 cubic inches or 142.1 U.S. gallons, which is approximately

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:26 pm

ImageImageImage $50 & comes with a stand! Hubs even said that's too good of a deal to pass up :-P

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Great deal! Can't wait to see its progress :)

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:00 pm

I may wait to really set it up until we move. Will probably just put dampened EE for now since its lighter than sand and put some that are freshly molted in it. He's happy to let me get the new tank but he won't be happy trying to move it if it's full of sub

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:20 am

I'm wondering is the 57" height the tank's height alone or the overall height with stand included? I'm thinking they've included the stand in that measurement. Unless it's a custom made tank.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:54 am

Hmmm...hadn't thought of that.

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Still waiting to hear back on the new tank to see if that height it with or without stand.

But I'm super stoked that my cranky crab seems far less cranky. He spent 2 nights in ISO jail with lots of protein and calcium + honey and some other goodies, several properly sized shells and total alone time. He chilled in the moss pit almost the entire time, tried on all of the shells at least twice before settling on a shiny new turbo and when I put him in the main tank tonight he's been pretty quiet. No climbing guys for shells, one little antennae and claw waving moment but they seemed to have come to an agreement Image he's been alternately stuff in his chunky face and hiding out so far so I've split the guys up with little guys in the 20g and bigger guys in the 40g. I've got at least 2, possibly 3, buried right now so I think all's well.

Oh! And my very first little dude, Balla, just came up from another molt ImageImage he's a little brighter and has again chosen a too big shell...he seems to enjoy the extra room lol

Lover of all things critter (except bugs and birds Image)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:52 am

Sometimes they just need the chance to get their fill of good food and good shells before going in the main tank. Glad ISOing him worked. :)

Balla is cute! Congrats on another successful molt. :D

Topic author
meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks

Lover of all things critter (except bugs and birds )