Need some advice for my gimpy crab.

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
megmaholm

Need some advice for my gimpy crab.

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:02 pm

For those who didn't read my topic in Crabitat Conditions, I dug in my 40 and found 2 naked crabs who had molted recently. Both re-shelled and finished their exo, and the one has rejoined the colony without an issue.

The other one is missing both walking legs on one side, presumably from an attack. He's currently in a plastic sandwich container in the tank. He's eating, drinking, and making a mess so I think he's going to be fine. I want to leave him in iso until he molts, BUT my dilemma is where to put him - I don't want him to surface molt in the sandwich container. I have a small KK I can probably squeeze into the tank with some sand if that would be better for him. I'm not even sure he can dig. I just hate confining him to his sandwich container for so long.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the KK and keeping an eye on him and digging him a pit for when he's ready, but I'm not sure I'll be able to tell when he's ready to molt. His shell is huge and he's very shy, so I can't really look for gel limbs and such.

Anyone with similar experience that can share some advice would be appreciated. I've had my share of special needs crabs but this is new territory for me since I haven't had a crab with multiple missing legs. These guys keep me on my toes!
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

CallaLily

Re: Need some advice for my gimpy crab.

Post by CallaLily » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:44 pm

The KK would be fine as an in tank ISO. Though unless he's very weak or something, he would likely be just fine in the main tank and shouldn't have any issues digging. (Assuming he has the rest of his limbs)

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks Calla! He doesn't seem especially weak, just awkward. I just wasn't sure how he'd do in a big tank since he's missing both legs on his right side. I'm probably just worrying about him too much :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:04 pm

It sounds a little cruel, but for safety - before he goes in the big tank, dump him in water bowl and watch to make sure he can climb out. If he struggles, ISO is best!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:45 pm

wodesorel wrote:It sounds a little cruel, but for safety - before he goes in the big tank, dump him in water bowl and watch to make sure he can climb out. If he struggles, ISO is best!
That's a great idea! I told my husband and he was confused...He said "So if he drowns he should've stayed in iso?" :hlol:

I'll test him out tonight and go from there. I'm guessing he'll be okay but the water test will ease my worries a bit more. I'm pretty sure I'm more bothered by his missing legs than he is.

Thanks for the help!

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Annnnd he failed the water bowl test. He sat there forever, seemed content, then tried and failed several times to climb out. Oh well..the KK isn't a big deal and it gives another climbing obstacle to the crabs in the 40, haha. Crossing my fingers he can dig without issues to molt.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:29 pm

Poor baby

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:01 am

When Sunshine regrew all her legs she had serious fine motor skill issues and failed the water dish test for 3 molts. In her case, her limbs were all there, but she couldn't quite get them to do what she wanted. Mobility problems happens, but it will heal with time. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:26 am

That is a great idea, Wode! It's so hard to tell sometimes if an ISO is necessary for missing limbs. Some crabs seem to get around, climb, dig just fine.

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:54 pm

CallaLily wrote:That is a great idea, Wode! It's so hard to tell sometimes if an ISO is necessary for missing limbs. Some crabs seem to get around, climb, dig just fine.
I agree. One of my crabs lost both pinchers and only had 2 and a half legs left, but was still able to eat, climb, dig, and go in the pools on its own. (Though it was quite a bit slower than normal- it still didn't seem like it was hard on the crab)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:04 pm

I'm wondering if I give him another week or so in iso if he'll figure out how to compensate better and I'll try again. I've had crabs missing just one leg that do just fine, but I think he's still adjusting to missing 2.

He's doing fine in his KK - eating everything in sight and drinking/soaking in his water dishes. I'm guessing he's going to molt again ASAP but hopefully he doesn't rush it since I have a feeling that may add some stress. He knows best, though!

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:28 pm

How's your crab?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk