Life spans

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Jason 00

Life spans

Post by Jason 00 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:19 pm

All of my crabs at present are PP's and are all heathy at this time ( of which I am very grateful ). I have had little experience with the more exotic crabs other than reading about them. Alot of material states that the lifespan of a Strawberry is just 1 to 5 years but a PP could be as much as 30 if cared for correctly. Is this actually the case? Thank you.
Last edited by Jason 00 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orangeinecrab

Re: Life spans

Post by orangeinecrab » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:38 pm

Jason 00 wrote:All of my crabs at present are PP's and are all heathy at this time ( of which I am very grateful ). I have had little experience with the more exotic crabs other than reading about them. Alot of material states that the lifespan of a Strawberry is just 1 to 5 years but a PP could be as much as 30 if cared for correctly. Is this actually the case? Thanks you.
Strawberries are much more delicate than pp's and from what I have heard do usually only live that long but there are exceptions. In the wild strawberries would live longer but they are hard to keep in captivity.
Proud Carer of 4 Crabs: Pepi (F), Victoria/Victor (IDK), Georgie (M) & BIG J (F) and two more newbies!

Topic author
Jason 00

Post by Jason 00 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. :)
I would love to get the chance to care for an exotic but I would want to do my best to care for it even more so than I do the crabs I have now, so it could live it's full life span. Probably drive my wife crazy in the process :)

orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Jason 00 wrote:Thank you very much for your reply. :)
I would love to get the chance to care for an exotic but I would want to do my best to care for it even more so than I do the crabs I have now, so it could live it's full life span. Probably drive my wife crazy in the process :)
Haha I would also love exotics but I'm sticking to my 4 PP atm and still need to set up their new 4ft terrarium that my parents aren't best pleased about :D
Proud Carer of 4 Crabs: Pepi (F), Victoria/Victor (IDK), Georgie (M) & BIG J (F) and two more newbies!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:10 am

landlubber has said she had hers for 7, which is the longest lived straws I've ever heard of. 5 to 6 among expert keepers is considered excellent, although we have two members now (kuza and sugarselections) who have reached 6 years with their straws still alive (to my knowledge), and crabbymom33 has to be somewhere close to that as well. 2 to 4 is what should be expected even with perfect conditions.

Most keepers - even those with ideal set-ups - get 2 to 3 years from their exotics of any species. As adoption coordinator, I've seen many members I was familiar with contact our rehoming program for their PPs after all their exotics passed away. I knew their conditions had been "right", and how long they'd had the crabs. It's always heartbreaking to see. For whatever reason, the other species don't do as well in captivity.

KellyCrabbieLove
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:38 am

I am 4 months from 2 years with Houdini. Wonder how much time I have left with him. I have had Jockey only 15 months but the people I rescued him from had him close to a year. I don't see him slowing down any time soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
Jason 00

Post by Jason 00 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:50 am

I was really eager to get an exotic, my 40 gallon tank has the right conditions for one but know I am not so sure. My PP's are great just the way they are, I have had them through many molts and days of staring into an empty tank waiting for their return. I am glad to know with proper care I will hopefully have them through many more. :)

LucasBinx

Post by LucasBinx » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:44 pm

I was lucky enough to own Straws for a few months about a year ago. Ideal tank conditions and everything was going great with them. Then, without warning, I found them both dead and lifeless on the surface. Not at the same time, probably a couple weeks apart.

I've had my E's going on 2 years now. I think that they're a little more hardier of the exotic species. I'm suppsed to have 4, but one's been MIA for a while, presumed dead.
So far I've had great luck with keeping this species though.

Unfortunately, the place I got the straws from recieved them from another place who recieved them by accident, so I'll probably never get to own them again...

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:24 pm

wodesorel wrote:landlubber has said she had hers for 7, which is the longest lived straws I've ever heard of. 5 to 6 among expert keepers is considered excellent, although we have two members now (kuza and sugarselections) who have reached 6 years with their straws still alive (to my knowledge), and crabbymom33 has to be somewhere close to that as well. 2 to 4 is what should be expected even with perfect conditions.

Most keepers - even those with ideal set-ups - get 2 to 3 years from their exotics of any species. As adoption coordinator, I've seen many members I was familiar with contact our rehoming program for their PPs after all their exotics passed away. I knew their conditions had been "right", and how long they'd had the crabs. It's always heartbreaking to see. For whatever reason, the other species don't do as well in captivity.
Yes, I still have my old straws. I've had Clementine for about six years and Cardinal for about five. I have no explanation for why these two straws have flourished with me when I've lost other straws. In fact, neither of them started out with me looking particularly hardy. I got them each with other straws at the same time that seemed much more robust but those crabs didn't make it. With both straws and indos I seem to have much better luck in the long term with larger crabs. By contrast, my rugs and violas seem to be immortal or something.
PP. E. Straw. Indo. Rug. Viola. Aussie. Blueberry.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sugarselections/videos

2 trouble-making dogs. 3 impossible cats. 1 lazy betta.

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:27 pm

I know purple pincers can live between 30-40 years in captivity. The longest I've had one live was 14 years, and I have a friend who has two, still alive, who are about 23 years now.
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!