Crab on the hamster wheel

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 am

In another thread, I posted a picture that happened to have my crabs' hamster wheel in it and there was some interest in how that works. I uploaded a video to YouTube so you can see for yourself if you are one of the interested ones.

https://youtu.be/NO1LXg1Puj8

Crabs walk for miles in the wild, they migrate in large groups at certain times of the year, and mine LOVE to get exercise. Obviously I can't let them walk for miles in western New York, but the wheel is the closest I can get to that.

To modify it, I took a (flat-backed) hamster wheel and drilled holes all around the perimeter. Then I attached pieces of craft mesh using tiny zip ties with the square part on the outside of the wheel. I made sure to extend the craft mesh an inch or so beyond the width of the wheel as my bigger crabs couldn't walk easily in the narrower confines of the unmodified wheel. (One was so determined before I modified it, she would hook a walking leg over the center post and hang on with that leg while the other legs walked the wheel.) The craft mesh (sold in single sheets--very cheap--in any craft store or even Wal-Mart) also gives them some traction which they seem to appreciate. Hope this helps. :)
Last edited by mlakers on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
mlakers

Re: Crab on the hamster wheel

Post by mlakers » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:25 am

Also...you can put it on the sub, but I prefer the wall, using two command hooks to hang it. You will have to either hang it close enough to the sub that they can climb in from the substrate or do what I do which is MacGyver some pieces of wood that get within an inch of the wheel. They quickly learned to climb in over the empty space.

If you place it on the sub (what I did in the beginning), they tend to tip it or it sinks in the sand, or one gets under it and jambs it up, holding it still while the other crabs climb all over it. Putting it on the wall saves floor space, gives them a fun second story, and generally keeps it moving freely (unless three cram in there). About four months ago, I moved mine to place it above the deep water pools. Sometimes they climb around the outside of the wheel and drop into the pool and then just hang out for a bit. I would swear it's intentional. A crabby carnival ride.

cap7

Post by cap7 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:09 am

Great idea. I've been thinking of doing this. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littletechcrab

Post by littletechcrab » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:39 am

Great idea and nice video. Will have to check out my local second hand store for one and give it a go.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Great! Ty mlakers!!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Sweet Pea

Post by Sweet Pea » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:00 pm

I never in my wildest dreams thought I would see a hermit crab on an exercise wheel. :)

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Yay!! Another hermie project for the future

Hershozz

Post by Hershozz » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Very cute! Definitely going to try this~

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Went out, got the supplies, looking forward to doing it! Okay...I'm editing this post. It's done! I'll install it tomorrow. I'm really concerned about the metal part in the tank, but it is coated, and I'll just have to make sure my crabs can't get to that part.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks for the video and the modification tips! I'm upgrading my hamster from an 8" Comfort Wheel to a larger Carolina Storm Wheel but am sure that only Big Enzo could move the 8" wheel -- for the other two crabs, medium and small, I'd need a smaller wheel. What diameter wheel did you use?
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:16 pm

that is fascinating...now I want to get it but I have no more wall space, except for where the uth is and I have been afraid things wouldn't stick there and things would melt.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:58 pm

I haven't used mine yet, but I bought the regular 8". I have large & jumbo crabs. Made by Kaydee I think.

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:00 am

Crabinski wrote:Thanks for the video and the modification tips! I'm upgrading my hamster from an 8" Comfort Wheel to a larger Carolina Storm Wheel but am sure that only Big Enzo could move the 8" wheel -- for the other two crabs, medium and small, I'd need a smaller wheel. What diameter wheel did you use?
Just measured mine, Crabinski, and it's five inches in diameter. It's a little tight for my bigger crabs, but they do use it. I think eight inches would be better.

I will say, though, that the two-color rounded ones (not sure if that is the "comfort wheel" or not) are harder to modify with craft mesh. They also make it a little harder for the crabs to spread their walking legs fully.

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:06 am

GotButterflies wrote:Went out, got the supplies, looking forward to doing it! Okay...I'm editing this post. It's done! I'll install it tomorrow. I'm really concerned about the metal part in the tank, but it is coated, and I'll just have to make sure my crabs can't get to that part.

I've had the Super Pet brand (with a coated metal stand) in my tank for a little over a year and it's been fine. No evidence of rusting at all. The rest of the wheel parts are plastic.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:52 am

mlakers wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Went out, got the supplies, looking forward to doing it! Okay...I'm editing this post. It's done! I'll install it tomorrow. I'm really concerned about the metal part in the tank, but it is coated, and I'll just have to make sure my crabs can't get to that part.

I've had the Super Pet brand (with a coated metal stand) in my tank for a little over a year and it's been fine. No evidence of rusting at all. The rest of the wheel parts are plastic.
Great, thanks mlakers! I have 99% humidity so I was worried about that. No evidence that my crabs have used it yet. How long did it take yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk