Moving Across Country

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
erin.leaman

Moving Across Country

Post by erin.leaman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Hello! I am a college student living in Virginia and I have 7 PPs. Next fall, I plan on moving to Utah to finish college. I would hate to separate from my army and would like some advice about bringing them with me. I would be traveling by plane and taking them all with me, along with my gihugeic tank, seems impossible. I would be willing to put them up for adoption and sell the tank. :(
However, there are two hermit crabs that I have grown very fond of and I am reluctant to place them for adoption. It appears that shipping all of my hermit crabs would be impossible, but are there any suggestions pertaining to taking only 2 along with me? If there are no safe methods of transport by plane, they will be posted along with the others... :cry:
Bands, Dreamcatchers, and Hermit crabs

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moving Across Country

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:52 pm

You could potentially set up ab arrangements to have a local crabbers or family member to look after then for the duration of your schooling career. Multiple people have set up similar arrangements.
Other than that, its something that you have the check with the airline and see if you can travel with your pets. A member asked this question a few weeks ago, and Wod's advise - which is pretty solid, so shall include - says to get it on writing!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

jclee

Re: Moving Across Country

Post by jclee » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:11 pm

I moved from Rhode Island to California, and my crabs made the move after me. I had a friend crab-sit until I had a tank set-up that was ready, and I sent her directions on how to safely ship crabs overnight. I think I got the directions from this site. I can look for them again tomorrow, if that is something you would be interested in. They all survived the trip and are thriving today.
120G with 5 hermit crabs, varied ages/sizes, most are jumbo by this point.
I have a bunch of other critters, too! You can see them all here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/