Starfish

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

soilentgringa

Re: Starfish

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Not to be super nitpicky but organic literally means that something was made of a living organism.

Many "organically grown" or sourced items will be harmful to crabs.

I'll ask Lacey where she sources her starfish, but for what it's worth, my crabs have had them from Hermie's Kitchen and I haven't had any unexplained deaths in well over a year, which is pretty amazing considering the amount of crabs I have.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Hermie's Kitchen links all their sources on their page.

The dehydrated starfish come from seashellmart on Etsy.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:31 am

I carry natural sand dollar pieces - and they are indeed a gray color. I do not carry whole sand dollars because I will not kill anything. Most whole sand dollars are taken from sand bars and dried. I collect mine from the shore line.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 am

Yes, organic can mean that something is a living organism, but if it has chemicals in it, it wouldn't be organic anymore. ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:50 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Yes, organic can mean that something is a living organism, but if it has chemicals in it, it wouldn't be organic anymore. ;)
Any substance containing carbon or a carbon derivitave is an organic chemical. Ketones, alcohols, ethers, nitrates, phenols, lactones, aminos, etc... these are all organic.

Not trying to be nitpicky; I just feel that the words "organic" and "chemical" have been used inaccurately for so long that most people don't realize that almost everything is organic, and literally everything is made of chemicals.

Say for example, lemons. Citric acid (C6H8O7) was isolated in the 1700's. It's an organic chemical. It's also used in cleaning agents.

So anyway, many many chemicals are organic.