Hi everyone, been a while

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
CrabMater

Hi everyone, been a while

Post by CrabMater » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Hey, it's CrabMater here, haven't posted in some time. To catch you up, I had 3 PP possibly classed as sm-M . I had adopted them from my daughter's Kindergarten class.
Well things were fine, they moved from a 10g to a 40 g Breeder and for almost 2 years​ things were going swimmingly. Then it happened.

One of my crabs seemed to disappear. Normally a crab would go to the Underside for about 3 weeks 5 weeks tops. But I always "knew" they were coming back. Unfortunately, the crab known as Dean disappeared and 6 months later never resurfaced.

FF to me getting used to his loss when Diana, who I believed dropped eggs also went missing. After 3 months I began to think she was gone too.

Now John is my last crab. after an extended period of him going under, i thought he was gone but he resurfaced. Looking great. Bigger, redder, all limbs and eyes right where they were supposed to be. He's was up for about 2 days , eating and playing with shells
And then boom. Hes gone. I last saw him a few weeks ago. I'm still changing the waters and food. Misting and keeping things the way I always did. But my gut is telling me he too passed.
I'm absolutely crushed. I loved these little guys and REALLY thought I was doing right by them. I learned so much from this forum, I was a real HC advocate. And am completely in disbelief they could all die. Even w the (my) best of care.
It's been a month since I have seen a crab. I'm still misting and maintaining optimal tank conditions. Food changes and water changes. But I'm not seeing signs of them. Like sandy water and scuttled food. I don't want to give up hope John joined his friends but I'm starting to think I am caring for 40 gals of sand.

Anyway, I'm going to update this post when I have definitive evidence of what happened. I wanted to thank everyone for all the help I have gotten in the past.

CM
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Rawrgeous

Re: Hi everyone, been a while

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 am

I just wanted to say I'm sorry for what's been going on. :/ Perhaps try looking in really late? I have had ones that only come out in the dead of night. Or perhaps they molted, came back up when you didn't see and went right back down? I know you do right by your crabs. I'm happy to see a familiar face- just sorry your return has to be a sort of sad one. :( I know you keep your tank up to standards, but if you wanted you could always fill out the template for a bit of advice just to see if anything sticks out. I doubt it would, and I understand if you don't want to, but it's worth a shot. Sending you the best well wishes, and hoping you see signs of the crabbies soon. Remember, some molts can go up to 8 months, I know it seems crazy but there is still hope.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:26 am

CRABMATER!!!!!!!

I've missed your wonderful posts!! I'm so sorry to hear about your losses! How are you otherwise? I hope that you are doing well! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:14 am

Thanks for your kind words Rawr &GB

I reread the trouble shooting guide, just for myself to see if I missed something. But it seems like I'm following crab protocol.

I have not given up hope on John, my strongest, biggest crab. For the first time in weeks, as I was misting/ changing waters I smelled molting crab smell! I was happy bc I had hoped he was just living under ground. So yes, I am going to give him his time. I'm caring for the Box of sand and hope my guy will emerge once again.

I'll definitely update this thread if he pops up or I find evidence otherwise.
Till then,
CM

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Well, it's great to hear from you!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:39 am

And this is why we wait:
About a week after my last post, guess who pops his head out of the substrate? JOHN C. CRAB. YES. Red and bumpy. Strong but very lethargic. He's definitely not himself. He's living top side now past few days. Barely moves but he's eating he's even switched shells once.
Yesterday, July 27, as I was misting I smelled Crab Stink but John was napping in the Shell Shop where he had been all day . I figured it was old food.
Today, at around 8am on the edge of the water dish was Diana COMPLETELY NAKED and drinking!!!! I had given up hope she had passed into the Great Substrate in the sky. But now I'm stresses bc she's naked and John is up.
I read a bunch of "naked crab" emergency posts and the consensus was to quarantine naked crab w clean shells and food and hope for the best.
It took me nearly​15 minutes to catch her. She ran all over the 4OG. Under and over holding up her claw, just WAITIN to pinch me, but I finally backed her into a Shell Shop and transfered her to Hospital.

At first I thought she was ill but after that chase I don't know what her problem is.
My tank is optimal my food is the best fresh veggies & freeze dried bugs and my water is correct. I'm a big-time nerd so I've done my research.

Diana will not be eaten if she passes. I realize she may not make it but I cannot put a naked crab back in w the Tank Boss. Even if he's under the weather. I REALLY am glad I didn't give up on these two.. even if they don't pull through. I love them and I hope w some time and patience they will be back to snuggling in the Coconut Cabana.
CM

MORE SUBSTRATE!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:56 am

Oh my! Please be sure to keep us posted on how things go!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Well it's been a few hours, and Diana has been to the fresh water​ dish a few times. But seems to have no interest in putting a shell back on. She's all dirty bc I have been misting the hospital tank. But responsive. I have a towel over the top so it's quite dark . There's egg yolk, FD worms, fresh apple a peanut butter and 4 shells to change into one was her last known worn shell. I'm not feeling good about this but at least I know she won't be eaten alive. I will update if there's any change.
CM

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:52 am

Good morning, I am happy to report Diana is still alive. Still naked but still fiesty. I am visiting her every other hour to lightly mist the tiny tank. I am seeing her in the water and on the food. Sometimes just spread out on a shell. But she won't put one on. Temps in NYC have dropped a bit . The big tank is fine. If it gets cooler I will have to put her tank inside there because the hospital tank is unheated. I will say that I figured on her demise over night. I thought HC dried up once they left the safety of the shell. But she has defied that. My plan is to just keep rewashing and circulating shells untill she finds one or passes. I am > month away from major surgery and I am worried she won't get the care she needs bc I will be away/in recovery. I NEED her to rally. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
CM

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:34 am

Been reading about reshelling a naked HC. I think I'm going to give it a go before she's past the point of no return. Fingers crossed I don't get pinched.

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:11 am

So I think Diana reads HC Forum because I was all ready to do a manual re-shell and I lift off the cover and she's IN A SHELL.

https://imgur.com/a/ro8vvdm

At first I thought she was going to abandon because it's a bigger shell and she usually used a smaller type, but she was on top, abdomen inside legs splayed across the top. After an hour I came back and she was seated better (1st pic) I lifted her up in hopes she would retreat into and not scuttle out. She didn't do either. She was a little floppy. So I put her back and came back an hour later.
Pic #2
https://imgur.com/a/Ok4YZsc
She's much better seated. I'm going to leave a smaller shell in there in case she feels like she wants to switch. One more days in Hospital and then I will discharge her back to the main tank.
John has switched back to his old , smaller brown turbo. I'm glad he's feeling up to switching. I am keeping my claws crossed these two will be joined and be ok.

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:46 am

Ok Day 3 in hospital. Might be discharge day. Diana is still shelled although she's staying put. Only moving between water dish and side of tank. I don't know if I should put her back. Now that she's in a big turbo she can close up and prevent cannibalism. But I don't know if she is strong. Seems a little floppy in the shell. Maybe bc it's so much bigger or maybe bc she's weak. My only rush to get her out is bc tank is not heated or regulated like main tank. I may see how she reacts to being picked up. If she's still floppy I will probably leave her in the hospital tank. And put the whole thing in the main tank. Maybe John will get curious and come over. He's been so lethargic. This Crab Drama has been murder on me. I was literally just getting over their "deaths" and now they're both back but both ill. Patience and strength is what I need now.

MORE SUBSTRATE!

bandaidstealer

Post by bandaidstealer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:26 am

Glad to hear they are both alive. Crossing my fingers they regain their strength!

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Thank you BAS!

John switched back into a bigger shell (it's really his size I don't know know how he forced his enormous butt into the one I saw him in last) and it happens to be the identical turbo Diana is in.
She is still wearing her shell. Not moving much but retreats when I mist and that's a sign she hasn't given up.
Picked up Diana and she was way less floppy. Even retreated all the way into the shell when I touched the top of her head. I've had these guys for almost 2+yrs and this is the MOST I've ever handled them. It's odd.

Anyway, her pulling in and not flopping out is what my gut tells me is right. So maybe one more day in hospital. I don't want her to get hurt if I put her back in the main tank. I'd love to see signs of her trying to climb. Thinking of putting a slim branch just to give her a chance to get off the damp floor.
CM

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Hey CM! :) Can you give her a dish of dechlorinated msw and a dish of dechlorinated fw she can fully submerge in? I see she is really dirty. I know you don't like plastic and that you prefer glass, but that dirt has got to annoy her! :P

Do you want to try filling out the emergency template to see if there is something you may be missing?
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102