Video Cameras in Crabitats

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Video Cameras in Crabitats

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:35 pm

LeeHasCrabs wrote:
RiNiKy506 wrote:Is this the same one everyone has? Does it need a microSD card to work? I want to make sure I’m getting the right one. When I looked before I thought it was different but I could be wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Indoor-Wire ... ref=plSrch
That's the one I have in my tank (I actually bought a second for my twins' room as well). You don't need a microSD card for it to work, but in my opinion, you'll want to get one. I have a 32GB microSD in mine and it will store the recordings for about 3 days on it before it starts to erase the earliest recordings for new ones.

Here's the microSD card I bought: http://a.co/d/eioLaky

There's also a 360º pan camera from Wyze that's a bit more $, but I didn't get one of those yet. Hermiesguardian has one of those.

EDIT: The last sentence Hermiesguardian has a 360 Wireless Smart Home Security Camera, not the Wyze Pan. In looking at the Wyze Pan, it actually looks too big.
I do but not for the crabitat.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:20 pm

I was also looking at the Wyze pan camera. I wanted to get what everyone else had since it’s already being used and works well for everyone. Thank you for your reply.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:31 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I was also looking at the Wyze pan camera. I wanted to get what everyone else had since it’s already being used and works well for everyone. Thank you for your reply.

Yeah, I love mine and look forward to getting a second when I get my 55 set up.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Man, now you all have me wanting one! But my tank is such a mess and crowded I don’t know where I’d put it! :hlol:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:21 pm

fandt94 wrote:Man, now you all have me wanting one! But my tank is such a mess and crowded I don’t know where I’d put it! :hlol:
I have it in a plastic soap dish with suction cups up near the top of the tank.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:46 pm

fandt94 wrote:Man, now you all have me wanting one! But my tank is such a mess and crowded I don’t know where I’d put it! :hlol:
Yeah, that’s the thing. I placed mine at the top angled down and moved a couple things around in the tank for a good angle. It’s definitely one of those things you need to plan. I had mine in a few spots before settling where it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 am

I honestly think the camera is my smartest purchase! My crabs usually hide and/or bury themselves during the day and only come out at night. So, this is a way for me to tell they’re alive, who’s coming up at night, and what they’re eating... as well as entertaining. When I go to bed at night, I’ll usually lay in bed and watch my live feed through the Wyze app on my phone for a bit.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:16 am

I honestly don’t know what I could move...one side of the tank has a hanging moss pit with a net behind it ...the other side has a huge hemp reptile hammock that takes up that entire side/corner of the tank. Hmmmm...I may have to stare at my tank a bit and move the one side around. (Spring can’t come fast enough so I can upgrade....if all crabs cooperate that is lol)
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 am

fandt94 wrote:I honestly don’t know what I could move...one side of the tank has a hanging moss pit with a net behind it ...the other side has a huge hemp reptile hammock that takes up that entire side/corner of the tank. Hmmmm...I may have to stare at my tank a bit and move the one side around. (Spring can’t come fast enough so I can upgrade....if all crabs cooperate that is lol)
I’m with you on the Spring thing. That’s when I plan on switching over as well (if they cooperate like you said). Gives me time to plan it out though. I keep looking at everyone’s pics and getting ideas for my own.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 am

LeeHasCrabs wrote:I honestly think the camera is my smartest purchase! My crabs usually hide and/or bury themselves during the day and only come out at night. So, this is a way for me to tell they’re alive, who’s coming up at night, and what they’re eating... as well as entertaining. When I go to bed at night, I’ll usually lay in bed and watch my live feed through the Wyze app on my phone for a bit.

This is why I’d love to have one! I’m pretty sure 3 out of 4 of mine are alive. 1 comes out almost every night...the other is awake almost all day and night lately...the other I saw pretty recently but that one always digs for a day or two and then pops back up. The 4th I haven’t seen since the 2nd week of August. Besides that, it’s better than me sneaking peeks with my little flashlight and scaring the bejesus outta them! The one time I scared one good.. it fell in the fresh pool :hlol: :innocent:

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:26 am

LeeHasCrabs wrote:
fandt94 wrote:I honestly don’t know what I could move...one side of the tank has a hanging moss pit with a net behind it ...the other side has a huge hemp reptile hammock that takes up that entire side/corner of the tank. Hmmmm...I may have to stare at my tank a bit and move the one side around. (Spring can’t come fast enough so I can upgrade....if all crabs cooperate that is lol)
I’m with you on the Spring thing. That’s when I plan on switching over as well (if they cooperate like you said). Gives me time to plan it out though. I keep looking at everyone’s pics and getting ideas for my own.

Me too! I picked up a used 55 gallon not long ago so I’m constantly looking at everyone’s pics and saving the pics.....I almost bought a 100 gallon the other day that someone was selling for $90! This time I will plan it out right versus rushing to get it set up because I’ll have time.

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 am

I will say that the only pain in the shell to the Wyze cam is that I have to physically take the microSD card out to transfer the recordings to my computer. Again, minor inconvenience really, but if it had built-in wi-fi to transfer them, that would be an amazing feature upgrade.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 am

Besides that, it’s better than me sneaking peeks with my little flashlight and scaring the bejesus outta them! The one time I scared one good.. it fell in the fresh pool :hlol: :innocent:[/quote]

:hlol: I feel so sorry for them when they do that but I can't help cracking up

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:26 am

I really want to get one - and will one of these days - but I know I would spend TOO much time watching the feed!!! :) LOL
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:41 am

I ordered mine this morning, thank you all for the info. I got a 4 year protection plan for $2.31, I figured I couldn’t go wrong with that.