toys

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
purplepincher

toys

Post by purplepincher » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:45 am

should i get a bunch of tubes for my crabs, or a hamster wheel? im tight on money right now, and my crabs have been a while without something new, other than food. i can afford one wheel, or a couple tubes. which do you think they would like best, and if i get the tubes, should i place some in the ground? i am kind of confused with that. i need your opinions on which to get, or maybe some other sugestions for toys? :anon:

thanks! :D :crabbigsmile:
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

CrabMommaChara

Re: toys

Post by CrabMommaChara » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:21 am

A hamster wheel should be top priority, hermit crabs seem to loooove running marathons on them!
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

Topic author
purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:34 am

mine are pretty slow, but salsa seems to want to escape by trying to climb the glass.
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:59 am

I’d go with the hamster wheel, once they figure it out they’ll be all over it. I have a few that will walk on it all night, I had to get another one bc they love it so much. It gives them the chance to walk the miles that they would in the wild.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am

I got a hamster wheel that is plastic and has bumps on it, but I only put it in yesterday and they haven’t been on it yet
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 am

should i get the upright hampster wheel or the flat one? my petstore has both. also, should i replace my moss pit? they dont really seem to like it.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 am

If seen/heard they can use either but most of the time I see/hear people have wheels not saucers(not flat)
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:20 am

I have tried wheel and the saucers. Even with craft mesh on the saucer they still prefer the wheel. I just put the saucer back in the tank last week. I saw one crab on it once. The wheel always has a crab possibly two in it.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:02 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am
I got a hamster wheel that is plastic and has bumps on it, but I only put it in yesterday and they haven’t been on it yet
It could take a couple of weeks for them to figure it out. Give it time. Once they figure it out they'll love it. Maybe try putting a treat in it. I tried that. They ignored the treat though but you never know. Lol
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:27 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:02 pm
It could take a couple of weeks for them to figure it out. Give it time. Once they figure it out they'll love it. Maybe try putting a treat in it. I tried that. They ignored the treat though but you never know. Lol
What is considered a treat? I have seen my Peach eat banana, and I think they have eaten honey and applesauce

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:27 pm
What is considered a treat? I have seen my Peach eat banana, and I think they have eaten honey and applesauce
I consider treats for my crabs to be cheerios, molasses, and bee pollen. These are just things that I don't give them as often as all of the others foods I offer.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 am

i consider it dreid fruit and coconut treats :)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:53 am

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:27 pm
You wouldn't really want to put anything sticky in the wheel. It would be difficult to clean. Popcorn, cheerios, coconut.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:53 am
You wouldn't really want to put anything sticky in the wheel. It would be difficult to clean. Popcorn, cheerios, coconut.
Ok thanks I put a couple Cheerios inside

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 pm

The one thing I made that that they seem to like are food cubes. I made little 1" cubes out of craft mesh. I cut little holes on each face so they can reach in. I fill them with pieces of popcorn. It makes them "work" for their treats a little bit instead of it just being out in the open for them to take.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities