toys

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Oliviet#1

Re: toys

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 pm
The one thing I made that that they seem to like are food cubes. I made little 1" cubes out of craft mesh. I cut little holes on each face so they can reach in. I fill them with pieces of popcorn. It makes them "work" for their treats a little bit instead of it just being out in the open for them to take.
That’s so neat! It reminds me of a kong that they use for dogs. You can put peanut butter, treats, or other things inside and they lick it out. Do you mind if I borrow that idea I’m the future in case I do it?
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:06 am

Motörcrab wrote:The one thing I made that that they seem to like are food cubes. I made little 1" cubes out of craft mesh. I cut little holes on each face so they can reach in. I fill them with pieces of popcorn. It makes them "work" for their treats a little bit instead of it just being out in the open for them to take.
Interesting! I've thought on and off about doing some enrichment stuff like this. Can you share a pic?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:12 am

that is genius! I put leaves in the climbing spot, and they had to climb to get it. where do i find craft mesh? i want to do that too
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 am

Craft mesh can be found at Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn’s Fabrics. Even Walmart has it. It is found in the knitting isle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:48 am

Oh, my hermies love playing on old rope netting I cleaned off!
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

RiNiKy506

toys

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:02 am

Here is Motörcrab’s enrichment toy thread with pictures and some instructions on how he built it.
https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ ... chment+toy

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:52 am

Thanks, you beat me posing the link to the cubes.

I'm officially changing the name of craft mesh to "crab" mesh. Our Michael's actually had a few different colors of crab mesh this last visit. They usually only have black and white. This time they had pink, two blues, purple, and red! Hobby Lobby still had the best assortment of colors I have seen.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:16 pm

im getting a hampster wheel soon so i will put some on that.
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Is craft mesh made of plastic, burlap, or fabric? Is it safe to be colored?
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:00 pm

i wouldnt

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:01 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:Is craft mesh made of plastic, burlap, or fabric? Is it safe to be colored?
Plastic. It's not really possible to color it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Craft mesh is made of plastic, and it does come in different colours. I would imagine the coloured stuff to be as safe as the white.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Our Michael's has almost every color imaginable. I should shop at Hobby Lobby more - I just don't know my way around that store as well!! I absolutely love all of the decor that they have though! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:59 pm

You definitely need to make some time to check out Hobby Lobby.
We love that place but the nearest one is almost two hours away compared to 20 minutes for Michael's. It's usually a pit stop when we go tho That Pet Place for supplies.

Hobby Lobby also has a huge selection of fake plants. As in two or three aisles of them. Vines, flowers, plants, it's a bit overwhelming. You can get 6' lengths for $10-$15 when they run their 50% off sales on it. We are super picky with the types we buy. It can't have glitter, small berries, fabric or any types of paint. We will actually pinch and pull at the garland to see how it would hold up.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Our Hobby Lobby doesn’t accept competitors coupons so that is the downside here... Plus our hobby Lobby does have a lot of “painted” plants which aren’t good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk