Upcoming move & tank upgrade!

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
doth

Upcoming move & tank upgrade!

Post by doth » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:17 pm

we closed on a condo last week & are ready to start the crab-moving process! they are being upgraded from a 20gal to a 45!

tomorrow we have the joy of lugging the 45gal up 3 flights of stairs, and on Wednesday we're going to Home Depot & Petco to pick up sand (which will also be fun to carry up the stairs) and EE.

I am so excited for their new tat, the tank has a dome lid so I'm going to add a UV light at some point. I bought a 35x11" ultratherm & put together some larger water pools too.

I'm still nervous about moving them as two of my four are currently molting, but I am armed with several critter keepers and a ton of hand warmers.

I bought some bee pollen today & gave them a ton of different foods including some crushed oyster shell, so hopefully they will be be in good condition & everyone will make it through the move.

will probably update this thread as things progress. hopefully we can get through this with no emergencies! ImageImage

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Oliviet#1

Re: Upcoming move & tank upgrade!

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:41 pm

I hope it goes well! I read the post: about to dig up SIX crabs I think in emergency and that might help if you want more info.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Congratulations on the new condo and the tank upgrade!!! How exciting!! :) We are here for you if you have any questions! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:38 pm

Awesome! Congrats on condo and new tank! Can’t wait to see it finished.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:07 pm

Ohh. Im subbing, look forward to the build!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
doth

Post by doth » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm

thanks all! we just tetris-ed the new tank & stand into my partner's very small car. hoping to have everything set up by Thursday so we can move the crabbos Friday!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Good luck! I'm hoping all goes well for you and the crabbies!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
doth

Post by doth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:15 pm

the set up for now. keeping it bare bones in case we need to iso the molters within the main tank. tomorrow night we move the crabbos and hopefully find the molters alive & well! very nervous but the new tank is promising- humidity is 83% and temp was up to 77 after only a couple hours of having the uth plugged in.

Topic author
doth

Post by doth » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Bad news first: our little Spikes has passed away. We dug down & found a couple of empty shells & some legs that we were hoping were from a shed exo but no signs of an alive Spikes. We checked the sub & all our empty shells pretty thoroughly. There was no body with the legs so we're thinking the rest of him was eaten. We never got a death smell so maybe he was attacked while molting and eaten? I guess we'll never really know but RIP Spikes. He was one of our first crabs and we will always miss him.

The good news: the other three are alive and healthy! Scrundles was up so he was easy to move. Blobl had been dug against the front glass for awhile- we're thinking he was post-molt and wanted some chill time. Pellegrini was dug towards the bottom but he looks bright and shiny and seems to have successfully completed a big molt- he was down for quite some time.

Scrundles is being a little shy but the other two have explored the new tat a bit and Blobl is in his favorite hide. I'm really upset about Spikes but the important thing is to do my best for the other three. We left the condo for tonight- it'll be 2 days until we're fully moved in- and I gave them a bunch of their favorite foods. In a couple days we'll be fully moved in and we can properly mourn Spikes. We still have his first tiny shell. I will miss him and I'm just hoping the others enjoy their big new home and weren't too stressed from the move. ImageImageImageImage

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:51 pm

I’m so sorry you lost Spikes. Your new tank looks great!

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:11 pm

I’m sorry spikes didn’t make it. Congrats on the new tank and upcoming move! A Christian thing I have heard is we moarn at night and the sun comes up and we get Joy in the morning! Meaning like we will be sad for a little bit but then God wipes our tears away and gives us joy. Whatever gets stolen will be given back😊
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

craboloading

Post by craboloading » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Sorry for the loss of Spikes. :(

Happy to hear your other underground crabbos were healthy & not mid-molt. Fingers crossed they all adjust quickly to their new spacious 'tat. What an upgrade.
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20
1 Orange Cat: Chloe Hannah ~ 4/2015

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:35 pm

BTW, I am absolutely in love with your purple color! Is that your living room or bedroom wall color?

Topic author
doth

Post by doth » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks all, I will miss the little guy.

Rinky- it is the wall opposite our kitchen! We are super happy with how the color turned out

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:50 pm

I am so in love with it! Great color!