Supplies Wants/Needs

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Jamison

Supplies Wants/Needs

Post by Jamison » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:54 pm

I decided to make a list of all the crab stuff I need(want). Any advice on cheaper/more efficient options are strongly appreciated.
    More IO-$15-Are there any cheaper options? I'm willing to spend that much but it would be nice to have a cheaper option.
    More prime-$3
    Shells-Probably a 15 dollar order
    Tank decorations-$10 dollars worth
    Bubbler-$15?
    Food mixes-$10 dollars worth.

Thanks to the help!
    2 purple pinchers
    1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
    You to Hagrid!

Xenocrab

Re: Supplies Wants/Needs

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:23 pm

Suggestions: don't go cheap with the Prime. It's good and it works, plus it will last a long time. 2 drops for 1 gallon of water. For decorating, we use hemp & jute threads. You can weave and braid whatever you want! No need to crochet or knit (idk how to do either). Plastic craft mesh and zip ties! Check out our pics of the baby tank we just set up. Most art/craft stores have fish netting. You can cut it, zip tie fake plants to it. Shells, check out eBay, Naples shells on line. That's where we get ours. I don't use bubblers because they caused flooding and a bacterial bloom in our tanks and we lost crabbies. Other people have them and they have their own methods. Food mixed : go to a natural food store. They usually have organic herbs and flowers for really cheap! Also, check out eBay and Etsy.
    There's also The Cholla Queen on Etsy and she sells Cholla. You get a big box of various sizes for cheap and the shipping is fast! They eat it and love to climb on it. Zip tie some pieces randomly for a climbing jungle gym!
    I could go on, but I think you get the idea. A lot of it is home crafting, which is cheap and fun!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ImageImageImageImage
    6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
    Jamison

Post by Jamison » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Thank you! Sorry for the late response! I guess I won't do a bubbler. Any other good humidity holding tips?
    2 purple pinchers
    1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:12 pm

Xenocrab wrote:Suggestions: don't go cheap with the Prime. It's good and it works, plus it will last a long time. 2 drops for 1 gallon of water. For decorating, we use hemp & jute threads. You can weave and braid whatever you want! No need to crochet or knit (idk how to do either). Plastic craft mesh and zip ties! Check out our pics of the baby tank we just set up. Most art/craft stores have fish netting. You can cut it, zip tie fake plants to it. Shells, check out eBay, Naples shells on line. That's where we get ours. I don't use bubblers because they caused flooding and a bacterial bloom in our tanks and we lost crabbies. Other people have them and they have their own methods. Food mixed : go to a natural food store. They usually have organic herbs and flowers for really cheap! Also, check out eBay and Etsy.
    There's also The Cholla Queen on Etsy and she sells Cholla. You get a big box of various sizes for cheap and the shipping is fast! They eat it and love to climb on it. Zip tie some pieces randomly for a climbing jungle gym!
    I could go on, but I think you get the idea. A lot of it is home crafting, which is cheap and fun!

ImageImageImageImage
    Wow I haven't seen this tat yet! It's so cute! Using the blue craft mesh to make a sky and clouds was super clever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
    Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 am

Is this safe? It looks like good protein but I just wanted to check. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Spray-Mil ... +tr&sr=8-3
    2 purple pinchers
    1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

GotButterflies
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 am

As far as Instant Ocean - I purchase mine from Amazon (I'm a prime member - so everything ships free for me). I have found Amazon sells Instant Ocean the cheapest. I use Reef Crystals for Instant Ocean. I can get a 50 gallon bag for $13.00 With three crabitats, and now raising Zoeae - that is an incredible price for me.

If purchasing Jute and Hemp - you really want to try to purchase organic. A lot of these products come form overseas - and are therefore sprayed with pesticides.

As far as fish net - most of the craft stores sell decorative fish net. Not the same as authentic fish net. It can have pesticides on it too. If using fish net, do not double it. Only use it in a single layer.

I also get my prime from Amazon.

You can get a great air pump that comes with air line from Amazon. Sometimes they have air stones but, you might have to purchase some. I recently purchased a pump that would have cost $40 in the store for $12 on Amazon.

I shop locally for shells, but Richard's Sea Shells (formally Deltona Shells) has great shells - I have purchased some off of there - you need to tell them that they are for hermit crabs though. They will check for holes/cracks/chips.

Fish tank decor works for hermit crabs, and so does a lot of reptile decor.

As far as food - you don't have to buy any. They can eat a lot of the foods that we do. Just check the safe food list. :)
    Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:36 am

Yes, I forgot to mention that we only use organic hemp and jute

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:15 pm

We have found various organic food grade flower petals, and leaves in bulk containers at a local health food store. The items we purchased were in big containers and you scoop out how much you want. The first time we went we thought we had $25 in foods. We got pink rose buds, calendula flowers, dandelion leaves, hibiscus flowers, and a few more items in decent size bags and it came out to $7! Be sure to know what is crab safe because some things there are not.

For all our other foods like calcium, proteins and other things we order from a lot of different vendors online.
    Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
    Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Thank you everyone for the help! I will try to keep this topic active with updates!
    2 purple pinchers
    1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

GotButterflies
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Good luck :)
    Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Sarahlynnrn

Post by Sarahlynnrn » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:05 pm

Where does one find organic jute/hemp? Lots of “all natural” on Amazon, but I’m finding more like string for beading that is organic.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:04 pm

We found ours at Michael's and Hobby Lobby. They have all thicknesses of hemp and jute rope. I have 4 different sizes.

Topic author
    Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:37 pm

What can I use for a big crab to be able to climb to the second kevel. He's to big for the stick.
    2 purple pinchers
    1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:40 pm

We buy sheets of egg crate materials at Lowe's. It's around $17 for a 2x4 sheet. It's like crafting mesh but bigger. It's great for making ladders and backdrops.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PLASKOLITE-Com ... ls/3280904
    Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities