Aquarium fertiliser

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Meznuraie

Aquarium fertiliser

Post by Meznuraie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:11 am

I got some aquarium fertiliser to fertilise the plants in my crabitat. The problem is the mixing...

The directions say 5mL to 250L water. This is pretty inconvenient, since I just need a little to water the plants with.

I assume there's a way to dilute it in a certain amount of water, and then use that dilution to dilute it down to the appropriate amount...

Or do I just, say, put a drop (1mL) in a 2L bottle of water (dechlorinated of course) or something? Would the extra strength matter if I'm just using it in planted plants, not general water?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Aquarium fertiliser

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:15 am

Typically you don’t want to dose above the label’s directions since over-fertilizing can injure the plants.

If your product is really that concentrated it may not be the best choice for your purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Meznuraie

Post by Meznuraie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:46 am

A mathematically inclined friend pointed out that i can put 5mL into 2.5L, then take 25mL of that and put it into 2.5L to get the correct concentration.

That's a much more manageable amount.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:17 pm

I haven’t checked the math but that works, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:20 pm

IMO, I wouldn't use that. I would use organic fertilizers like organic worm castings. Whatever you use on your plants your hermits are exposed to - if they munch it it could be toxic to them. Worm castings comes in liquid forms. There is also a company called Fox Farm that makes liquid bat guano too. I would think something like that would be better than chemicals.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:57 pm

Aquarium fertilizer is made to be taken up by all parts of the plant, like a bath. It isn't going to have any affect on terrestrial plants, especially not in such small amounts. Maybe look into organic terrarium fertilizers for amphibian enclosures? Those should also be crab safe, so long as they are not super high in trace metals.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram