Is this what I think it is?!?! Edit: Yep, babies!

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.
Locked
User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9102
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm guessing that brine shrimp are the easiest to produce, and pack a nutrient punch, and will stay alive in sea water. Brine shrimp are in the middle of the fry food sizes, with rotifers (zooplankton) and infusoria being the smallest, then brine shrimp, then crushed fish flake. Live food will also help then grow quicker, and will probably trigger their appetites as it more closely resembles what they would get in nature. Egg yolk can be used with baby fish, but they won't grow as quickly as with cultured food.

I'm sure there are ready-made product you could buy, but it will depend on what's available at your local fish store. Either powdered or hopefully frozen, to at least get you started until the brine shrimp hatch. :)

User avatar

crabbyhappy
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 5:01 pm
Location: New Mexico
Contact:

Post by crabbyhappy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Wow this is so cool! It would be so neat for you if they made it! That picture of the tiny is so cute! It sure is super teeny tiny! Good luck!
Proud owner of two Purple Pinchers, Toki and Doki = ) and two lovable pit bulls that I love

User avatar

Topic author
SojMad
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by SojMad » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:54 am

wodesorel wrote:I'm guessing that brine shrimp are the easiest to produce, and pack a nutrient punch, and will stay alive in sea water. Brine shrimp are in the middle of the fry food sizes, with rotifers (zooplankton) and infusoria being the smallest, then brine shrimp, then crushed fish flake. Live food will also help then grow quicker, and will probably trigger their appetites as it more closely resembles what they would get in nature. Egg yolk can be used with baby fish, but they won't grow as quickly as with cultured food.

I'm sure there are ready-made product you could buy, but it will depend on what's available at your local fish store. Either powdered or hopefully frozen, to at least get you started until the brine shrimp hatch. :)
I went to the pet store yesterday again, but they didn't have any Artemia, it was sold out. :( So I have to see if I can find it somewhere else.
crabbyhappy wrote:Wow this is so cool! It would be so neat for you if they made it! That picture of the tiny is so cute! It sure is super teeny tiny! Good luck!
I really hope at least some of them do survive! :D I am so extremely happy over this already, and if they actually would make it I can not even immagine how happy I would be. ^^ But I know that they who has THCP had their babies surviving for ten days before all of them had died, so I don't want to be too full of dreams (but I can't help that I already am :wink:).

By the way, I still haven't heard from the people on THCP. :( I really hope they got the message I sent, but maybe they didn't?


For all who is interested, the babies are all still alive! Not a single one has died in the past two days! :D:D:D And they recently became four days old. :lol:
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

User avatar

CrabbyIrene
Posts: 414
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 am
Location: North Wales, PA

Post by CrabbyIrene » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:01 am

For all who is interested, the babies are all still alive! Not a single one has died in the past two days! And they recently became four days old.

:wav:

Absolutely AMAZING!!!! Congrats & keep up the good work! Have you gotten any sleep? LOL, I don't think I would be able to...
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

User avatar

Topic author
SojMad
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by SojMad » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:25 am

CrabbyIrene wrote:
:wav:

Absolutely AMAZING!!!! Congrats & keep up the good work! Have you gotten any sleep? LOL, I don't think I would be able to...

Thanks! :D Haha, no, not really. ^^ But I am going to sleep now, I HAVE to! I've been awake for more than 27 hours now, so I'm pretty tired - but I still have a hard time getting into bed, since the hermit crab babies is the only thing I can think about. :lol:
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

User avatar

Crab Addict
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: TEXAS BABY!

Post by Crab Addict » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:50 pm

how often do you change the water?
What do you feed them?
This is so interesting!! :D
110 gallon terrarium with 11 PP's 6 Indos 3 Ruggies 5 Violas 6 E's 6 Straws and 1 Blueberry

User avatar

wolfnipplechips
Crab Whisperer
Crab Whisperer
Posts: 1038
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Auke Bay, Alaska
Contact:

Post by wolfnipplechips » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 pm

CONGRATS!!! :D :D If they make it, I have teeny tiny shells I can give you. :) It's a pretty big if, though. I realize that. But four days!! Wow! :)
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

User avatar

Topic author
SojMad
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by SojMad » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Crab Addict wrote:how often do you change the water?
What do you feed them?
This is so interesting!! :D
I change their water about every 3-4 hour, except when I'm asleep of course. But since I got the babies, I haven't had much sleep. :D
Right now I feed them with phytoplankton, but I try to find Artemia somewhere. ^^
wolfnipplechips wrote:CONGRATS!!! :D :D If they make it, I have teeny tiny shells I can give you. :) It's a pretty big if, though. I realize that. But four days!! Wow! :)
Thanks!! :D:D


Sadly two of them have died this evening. :( But it was actually expected, I mean, even if the conditions where absolutely perfect, some of them would still die. It's hard when you get attached to something this fragile. :? And it's stupid too, but I cant help it. :D
The others seem fine though, swimming backwards and "jumping" around in the water. :lol:

Tammy and Kirk has answered! :) But they couldn't give me any more information than was already published on their site.
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

User avatar

megs
Founding Member
Founding Member
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 5:39 pm
Location: left field
Contact:

Post by megs » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:17 am

SojMad wrote:Is it possible that hermit crabs mate underground?
Mine almost always went at it on the edge of a water dish, like in your pictures. Exhibitionists, I guess. :oops:
I had two different "couples" a few years ago and coincidentally, both involved C. rugosus, although one had a C. clypeatus mate. :roll:
As I recall, both females laid copious amounts of eggs, but one of them left them in random spots away from the water.
"Nothing divides one so much as thought." - R. H. Blyth

"Sometimes the picture just ain't what it seems. You get what you want, but it's not what you need..."

User avatar

Topic author
SojMad
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by SojMad » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:25 pm

megs wrote: Mine almost always went at it on the edge of a water dish, like in your pictures. Exhibitionists, I guess. :oops:
I had two different "couples" a few years ago and coincidentally, both involved C. rugosus, although one had a C. clypeatus mate. :roll:
As I recall, both females laid copious amounts of eggs, but one of them left them in random spots away from the water.
Interesting! Maybe C. rugosus has easier to mate in captivity than other species. :) But can different species really mate with each other and produce fertile eggs?
How long were you able to keep the babies alive? :P


And the usual update of course :wink:; All of the babies are still alive (except for the two who had died last time I wrote). :) Now they're 5½ days old. ^^
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9102
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:15 pm

SojMad wrote:But can different species really mate with each other and produce fertile eggs?
No one knows for sure since no one has gone out and DNA tested suspicious looking hermit crabs where the ranges overlap. Going by visual ID alone leads us to believe it's a possibility with South Pacific species, but only the DNA can say for sure since hermits may have natural differences within the species. If we could find a way to breed them in captivity on demand then we'd be able to find out that way also, but that's much harder than the testing. :)

I have to admit, I'm madly waiting for your updates every day. This is so exciting! :D

User avatar

Topic author
SojMad
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by SojMad » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:10 pm

wodesorel wrote: No one knows for sure since no one has gone out and DNA tested suspicious looking hermit crabs where the ranges overlap. Going by visual ID alone leads us to believe it's a possibility with South Pacific species, but only the DNA can say for sure since hermits may have natural differences within the species. If we could find a way to breed them in captivity on demand then we'd be able to find out that way also, but that's much harder than the testing. :)

I have to admit, I'm madly waiting for your updates every day. This is so exciting! :D
That is really interesting! But is it possible to DNA test hermit crabs without hurting them? How is the testing done?

Hihi, I'm glad to hear the updates are appreciated. :D

I took some pictures of them a few minutes ago, and also a video - not that they have grown anything, but still.. :lol: The video is blurry, but it's impossible for my camera to do it anything better than this. ^^

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKTTuX190o

Here's two of the babies. :) I took them out of their regular jar just to get a better picture. After the photos were taken, they were of course put back with their siblings. :wink:
Image

Here's the babies in one of the jars:
Image
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

User avatar

tigermoon89
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:04 am
Location: Illinois

Post by tigermoon89 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Congrats! I enjoy reading your updates, your doing a wonderful job! :)
Crystal
"There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher

My organic hermit crab food store, Crabby Teas is now up and running! Please feel free to check out the shop. Mention the HCA and I will include a free gift! http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrabbyTeas?ref=pr_shop

User avatar

megs
Founding Member
Founding Member
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 5:39 pm
Location: left field
Contact:

Post by megs » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:16 pm

I don't know if the mixed species couple's eggs were fertile or not, they were the ones that left the eggs all over the tank & not in the water. I didn't even know what they were at first until I started cleaning them up the first night. I used to have pictures of the eggs & of them canoodling, but that was several computers & a few moves ago so who knows what happened to the files.
The other pair did have some hatch, but they died like the first day or so. I was gone & never saw them alive. :(
"Nothing divides one so much as thought." - R. H. Blyth

"Sometimes the picture just ain't what it seems. You get what you want, but it's not what you need..."

User avatar

Topic author
SojMad
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by SojMad » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:42 pm

tigermoon89 wrote:Congrats! I enjoy reading your updates, your doing a wonderful job! :)
Thanks! :crabbigsmile:
megs wrote:I don't know if the mixed species couple's eggs were fertile or not, they were the ones that left the eggs all over the tank & not in the water. I didn't even know what they were at first until I started cleaning them up the first night. I used to have pictures of the eggs & of them canoodling, but that was several computers & a few moves ago so who knows what happened to the files.
The other pair did have some hatch, but they died like the first day or so. I was gone & never saw them alive. :(


Too bad you don't have the pictures, I would have loved to see them! :) Are the hermit crabs still alive from both couples? How many times did they produce eggs? :)
I'm sorry to hear you never had a chance to see the babies, they are so cute. :|
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

Locked