Leg-less Crab success story! UPDATE, Again...

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
ljlh

Leg-less Crab success story! UPDATE, Again...

Post by ljlh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:38 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this posting or not, if not please move to where it should be...that being said here is my story :)

I have had hermit crabs for many years, had some as a kid and then this round due to my kid bringing them home from school (they had used them in science)... about 2 weeks (8/14) ago my most fav crab EVER (he is a bitty lil thing, I have never seen one so tiny, his large pincher is smaller than a pencil eraser), molted not unusual for him he is a great molter/ shell changer...makes it some of the reasons why he is such a joy to have, anyway I had never isolated any of my crabs during molting and never had an issue. This time his cage mate attacked him and tore off both pinchers, and all his legs but 1 and left him naked and shell-less in the tank, I found him cleaned him up and put him back into his shell, and he was very happy, I put him in a quiet corner in the tank and thought he was safe, but his buddy must have thought he smelled to good so went after him again and removed his las leg, I then put him in complete isolation w/in his tank, (I only have the luxury of 1)...in my super distress I went looking for info on the web and found this place, discovered other stories of hand feeding crabs, both successful and not, but none with a complete no-leg or pincher baby, I quickly ordered the mineral supplement recommended and the surf and turf noms...while waiting for delivery of such I fed the food I have always used slightly moistened and spritzed a lil water against the side of his shell so he could get the water. He was a ravenous lil guy for being through such trauma, and would push his way to the front of his shell as I fed and watered him at least twice a day...every morning I would rinse him in the de-chlorinated drinking water to help him clean his shell, I think he looked forward to seeing me as he quickly learned that I meant yummy surf and turf, (it was all he was interested in lol, tried other stuff), during the day I would tip his shell on it's end so he could come up and see the world, and at night I would tuck him back into the moist sand, and kept him sheltered under his cocohut. I began to notice over the last few days he was not as hungry and yesterday when I went to start his morning routine, I discovered he had made a successful molt and has all new legs and claws! I am so happy I was able to get him through the worst of it, aand will keep him isolated til he seems strong enough to go back with his buddy and the new guy I bought in case he did not make it
I want to thank you all for having such great info so I was able to nurse my baby as I would have my human children through such a trauma...
Last edited by ljlh on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Leg-less Crab succes story!

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Thank you!!! I'm in the same position right now with one of mine, and it's wonderful to hear the stories from others who have gotten their crabs through to the next molt. :) He is quite a fighter, and you're a great owner for helping him!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabbyFox

Post by CrabbyFox » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:55 pm

I was on the edge of tears reading the first bit of your story! I'm so happy to hear he is recovered!
:clap:

I wish you all the best of luck with your little one too, Wodesorel!!!
5 itty bitty pp's - PeeWee Hermit, Warren Beady, Pinchy, Frank & Robert
3 very large pp's - Dr. Claw, Twinkle Toes & Sluggo
1 medium/small E - Diego looking for a species mate

RIP King George and Buster Crabbe

Topic author
ljlh

Post by ljlh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:44 pm

wodesorel wrote:Thank you!!! I'm in the same position right now with one of mine, and it's wonderful to hear the stories from others who have gotten their crabs through to the next molt. :) He is quite a fighter, and you're a great owner for helping him!
thank you! I never thought I could be so attached but I barely slept the night it happened, I felt so guilty for not being a better crab mom, but now all my crabbies are getting even better care due to the info contained in here...Good luck to you and your baby....I just put the food just inside his shell on the side where he could push himself to it using his lil tiny gripper legs, his mouth parts worked fine and he would just eat like crazy

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 pm

Wow! What an amazing little crabby, and what a great crabby mom! Congrats on his molt! It's wonderful to hear such a success story.
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

spotsy99

Post by spotsy99 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:28 pm

I love reading stories like this even though I am having trouble typing this because of the happy tears. I am so glad he made it through his molt. I bet he came back so fast because of your loving care and being so tiny. I still have the baby shells of my crabs. Wouldn't it be neat to bronze them like human baby shoes? :)
Denise
******************************************************************************************
1 Husband - Gary, 1 Horse - Cash, 1 Cat - Midnight,
7 PPs

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks for sharing your great story! I'm so glad that he made it through for you. How long was it from the time of the attach to when he molted? I just wondered since that would be helpful information for others in the same situation. I'm guessing that for a very small crab like yours the time would be less than for a larger one.
Owner of 4 PPs

FreakyVegan

Post by FreakyVegan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 pm

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. Of course I cried.
"THE GREATNESS OF A NATION AND IT'S MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED"
GANDHI

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:44 am

spotsy99-
I still have the baby shells of my crabs. Wouldn't it be neat to bronze them like human baby shoes?
Aaaww! that would be adorable if you could do that!
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

Topic author
ljlh

Post by ljlh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:33 am

CrabbyMom33 wrote:Thanks for sharing your great story! I'm so glad that he made it through for you. How long was it from the time of the attach to when he molted? I just wondered since that would be helpful information for others in the same situation. I'm guessing that for a very small crab like yours the time would be less than for a larger one.
it was just around 2 weeks, the attack was on 8/14 and the molt 8/30

Invert Mom

Re: Leg-less Crab success story!

Post by Invert Mom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 pm

Thank you for sharing this inspirational story. That's wonderful he made it.
"Mom" of 7 rescued Hermit Crabs, 5 PP's, 2 E's

Topic author
ljlh

Re: Leg-less Crab success story! UPDATE...

Post by ljlh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:10 pm

UPDATE:

my lil crabby is the most amazing wonderfulcrab that ever lived!

This morning when I went to see him in his isolation portion of the tank, where he has bee for the last 2 weeks, I saw his shell in the corner and not under the cocohut and was so proud that he was moving areound and was going to move himback with the other 2 figuring that he could hadle his own, BUT when I picked him up I saw to my horror that it was not him in the shell, but the replacement crab I had got in case he did not make it, and that crab's former shell was under the cocohut,I had been turning the opening to the hut to the glass so he was protected in case the others managed to get over the barrier, but left him room to roam last night so he could get going on his new legs. I frantically tore the cage apart looking for the remains of my lost and loved buddy thinking the worst, BUT it turns out somehow they managed to trade shells, my sweet lil thing was in the other shell so far back I could not see him and I have no idea how this was all managed with out loss of limb to either of them...my baby is so resilient he took the only shell he had rather than lay down and die. The other one is still not off the hook as the shell he stole is a most favorite of the baby, who uswed to swap shells every other day, but when his prior cage mate died took over his shell out of loneliness for his buddy, I would find him from time to time in another shell for a day or so, but he always went back to his friends, they were really good buddies... the one he is in now is a bit heavy for him, but I cannot get him to move to another one as of yet, though he has been offered and placed with new choices, I may break down and buy some new ones even though I already have several extras right now, I swear if the new guy ever leaves that brown shell, I am taking it back for the best, most amazing crab ever, who probably misses it, but is glad to be alive...I cannot get over how amazing that lil thing is

spotsy99

Re: Leg-less Crab success story! UPDATE...

Post by spotsy99 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Awwww I hope he gets his shell back soon. That will help him feel so much better. :)
Denise
******************************************************************************************
1 Husband - Gary, 1 Horse - Cash, 1 Cat - Midnight,
7 PPs

Topic author
ljlh

Re: Leg-less Crab success story! UPDATE, Again...

Post by ljlh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:32 pm

he just molted again a few days ago, I presume to get his limbs back to a better state, the legs do seem a bit stronger, however his claws are still on the small and slightly deformed side, I am wondering if they will ever be normal again. He is not having any issues getting around or eating so I am not too worried. His cage-mate that tore him apart also molted sometime around a week ago...so all 3 are doing well and getting along.

Zoeythelost

Re: Leg-less Crab success story! UPDATE, Again...

Post by Zoeythelost » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Great to hear everybody is playing nice
4 PPs: Hermie, Struder 2 Es: Ebert, E-wee, Edee, Ego
3 Violas: Monster, Charcoal, Devil. 2 Blueberries: Purples, Blues
5 Ruggies: Bug, Tug, Lug, Mud, Kirby. 1 Indo: Solo
4 Fish, 2 dogs, Woodlice, and 1 human child.