Orchids?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

Orchids?

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:45 pm

Are orchid flowers ok for hermit crabs?

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:28 pm

They are suppose to be ok, however I dont think anyone has fed them. I have some Phalenopsis that are blooming and Im going to take some home (from work) to see if my flower-loving hermies will take a taste!

You can definitely try them, as long as you havent fertilized your orchid in a while.
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:11 pm

The orchid is a huge hit! I put it in tonight and all came out of hiding to snack. I haven't seen such mass hysteria since I gave them apple sauce.
I love to see my crabs happy!

Topic author

orchids

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:17 pm

Isn't it cool when they go nuts over a new food!

A word of caution: it is best to feed plants potted in organic potting soil that has not been chemically fertilized. Orchids you might get in a floral arrangement may not be suitable for feeding crabs because of these risks. But if you know they're safe, then I bet they are nutritious!

Topic author
troppo

Post by troppo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:35 pm

Wonder if an orchid could be planted in a tank? If a ceramic or plastic pot is used and organic potting mixed is used,would a plant be a good addition?
At gardening stores here,all orchids have been fertilized,so if I wanted to use one in my tank,could I re-pot it and leave it for months for any chemicals to leach out before placing in the tank?

Topic author

orchid in tank

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:38 am

That would be awesome! Actually, I think an orchid can be grown without soil. If you've ever seen an orchid pot they look like they were used for target practice (holes everywhere, so air can access the roots). Some live plants can't handle the moisture of a crab tank, but an orchid is probably used to the tropic environment. Wouldn't it be gorgeous if it worked?!? Troppo--or anyone else, if you try it, please post the results. I'm a big fan of live plants.

Topic author
troppo

Post by troppo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:30 pm

I've read that bromeliads can be used as a live plant in a crabitat too,both are beautiful plants and when I find a larger tank to buy,will be putting in some. Maybe orchids can be wrapped in cocofibre and attached to the inside of the tank? Still trying to think of what will work the best.

Topic author

bromiliads

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:38 pm

Bromiliads, yes. They are so pretty too! My mom has been trying to start a pineapple plant from a pinapple top, but w/ little success. I like to put spider plants in my tank, but they don't last long--crabs tear them up, but at least they re-start easily and always have new starts!

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:42 am

I fed my pps some small yellow orchid flowers (phalenopsis) last night and they too were a hit. I had only about 1/4 of the flowers left this morning--I put in 10 or so.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:25 pm

We just had some bright yellow-green orchids deliverd to work. They are from a florist so I assume they were sprayed at some point. Is it possible to rinse or soak them to make them safe for hermies to eat? Or should I just nix the whole idea of another orchid feast?

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:13 pm

I wouldnt feed the ones that come from the florist in arrangements...who know what was used to grow them and what they were sprayed with. I wouldnt risk it.

Topic author

risk of florist items

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:10 pm

The commercial handling of flowers is too heavily geared toward keeping pests from damaging the plants. Anything insecticidal is too great a risk to even try. Please avoid feeding flowers for the florist completely.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:06 pm

Then no orchid treats for the hermies tomorrow!
Thanks.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:07 am

I Know that this is a older post but I thought I would show you what I did. Just click on the link in my signature. I have to live bromiliads in my tank and they do great. I just replanted them and drain the soil of fertalizer. I have two fake orchids because i thought they were toxic to the hermies i'll have to change that. :D

Topic author
troppo

Post by troppo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Giga, I really like the way your tank's set up, it looks great :D
With your bromeliads you said you replanted them. How long after that before you placed them in the tank? Did you wait for any chemicals on the plants to wash off?
I love your waterfall too, how did you make that?