Is this a safe second level?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
grandlinegirl

Is this a safe second level?

Post by grandlinegirl » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:06 pm

I found this dish rack at the dollar store and it seems perfect as a second level. It's made of metal but it's coated... It doesn't say what it is, it just says durable finish. I would cover it with this climbing background stuff made of coconut fiber I got at the petstore and make a ramp... but is it safe?? I've read that crabs can have nothing metal??

YYWW

Re: Is this a safe second level?

Post by YYWW » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:36 pm

It's coated, you're good dont forget to show us your finished product!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:40 pm

I would just be careful that the coating doesn't flake! I have some similar things in my kitchen, and over time the coating chips and exposes the metal. The climbing background should totally make it safe, though :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:59 pm

I use a locker shelf, which is very similar. They are pretty cheap so I just replace mine once a year or so. I've never had any issues with it, and it works out great for me! Right now mine holds a shell shop, food, and a small moss pit.

Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.