Help finding a top for my 55 gallon aquarium??

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
ArielRavage7

Help finding a top for my 55 gallon aquarium??

Post by ArielRavage7 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:08 pm

I'm trying to find a lid or topper for my 55 gallon tank. Its 13" by 48" I've only been success full finding one. Non or the pets store around carry lids that big. I've looked on line but came up with only one. Maybe you guys and gals have a secret store or something you use. I just can't seem to find any lol. help would be much appreciated

moonbeam

Re: Help finding a top for my 55 gallon aquarium??

Post by moonbeam » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:17 pm

This thread may be helpful if you're considering a mesh lid. viewtopic.php?t=101650#p932396

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Is there a brace in the middle? You want a mesh, hood or glass lid?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Any place thst sells reptile supplies has them or can order them for you.

Online here
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=7796

And here
http://www.reptiledirect.com/screencove ... 13x48.aspx

And a bunch of other places, too. Shipping can get crazy because of the size, so someplace like foster and smith is awesome if you need other pet supplies because $50 can be easy to get to for free shipping on everything. I wait, make a list, and order once or twice a year so I can save on shipping and only buy essentials.

The come solid, split longways (not very sturdy longterm) and if you can find it, split left and right which is reinforcement in the middle.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:40 pm

I haven't ordered from the site below yet so I don't know what their shipping charges are but will probably go this route for my new screen, too.

http://www.herpsupplies.com/subcategory.cfm?id=5&sub=80

Just be careful ordering screen tops through Amazon as Moonbeam had a bad experience, receiving the 55g screen smashed and warped beyond redemption (that experience, complete with pictures, is posted in the Zilla Screen thread I started last week in the Products section).

FYI: I have a Zilla screen with a vertical (top to bottom) hinge on my mouse tank and can absolutely say that it's great, a big plus for spot-cleaning, changing food and water, accessing the mice, etc. For the crabs, I'm inclined to go with the horizontal (side to side) hinge as it would be great to be able to leave the strip light in place at the back and just lift up the front for food, water and general daily maintenance.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

gotta-crab-em-all

Post by gotta-crab-em-all » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:44 pm

I bought two mesh lids for a 29 gal, hammered one end flat on both lids, and it fits and works fine. Other than glass and the hood, I have rocks on both ends to hold it down.
Shuckle (f), Clauncher (f), Omanyte (f), Weedle (f), Ralts (f) : 55gal Crabitat

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:05 pm

I just ordered my mesh 12x30" lid from petsolutions.com it came packed in a huge box with lots of paper padding and FRAGILE written all over it which I'm sure helped with it's safe arrival. It was $11 which I ordered with a couple other things that were packed similarly in a separate package. The shipping really depends on your area code but mine with standard shipping was about $6 and arrived 2 days early (about the same at expedient was estimated). petsolutions.com also has great prices on bulk EcoEarth. $4.99 for a three brick pack which is better than $6 for one brick at my local petsmart.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
-

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Just wanted to share, I ordered a lid from dr. Smith &foster. It came a week earlier than I thought it would, had plenty of packaging and "fragile" labels all over it! It's in great shape and it was a great price :) (got it on sale). Totally elated to have a legit lid now! I would definitely recommend ordering from them! So satisfied Image

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:18 pm

moonbeam wrote:Just wanted to share, I ordered a lid from dr. Smith &foster. It came a week earlier than I thought it would, had plenty of packaging and "fragile" labels all over it! It's in great shape and it was a great price :) (got it on sale). Totally elated to have a legit lid now! I would definitely recommend ordering from them! So satisfied Image

I'm really glad I just read that! Earlier today I ordered a new lid from them also for my 55. It's the horizontal hinged one. It was only about $21 after shipping and I'm sooo looking forward to being able to get into my tank easier. I've had some bad luck ordering larger items from various places, so I was a little worried, but this eases my fears a little. :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:38 pm

megmaholm wrote:
I'm really glad I just read that! Earlier today I ordered a new lid from them also for my 55. It's the horizontal hinged one. It was only about $21 after shipping and I'm sooo looking forward to being able to get into my tank easier. I've had some bad luck ordering larger items from various places, so I was a little worried, but this eases my fears a little. :)
I'm so glad I ordered from them. The lid I ordered before that was a piece of JUNK by the time it got here. Not to mention it cost almost more to ship it back than it did to order and ship it in the first place. I have been biting my nails all weekend wondering if this would come better and they definitely didn't let me down. I almost feel like a big girl with my new "too legit to quit" lid Image

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:55 pm

When I had a 55 I used Versa Tops. My current preference in just to use a regular aquarium hood because I like to have good lighting.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:40 pm

I have a 55 gal and I got a mesh lid from Dr's Foster and Smith. I ordered lexan from Amazon and made sliding lids (after a fashion) to help with humidity. ImageImageImage