Getting 30 gallon tank(Substrate issue)

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

MuseCrazy

Re: Getting 30 gallon tank(Substrate issue)

Post by MuseCrazy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:47 am

$60 for sand is pretty outrageous. I think the 4 inches is enough sand and you can get away with adding a few more inches with some free soil from outside lol. Or you can try the coconut husk. Just make sure you bake anything you use before you introduce it to their tank. Doesn't Singapore have native hermit crabs? It might be a good idea to check out their natural environment and see if you can find out what substrate they prefer.

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:51 pm

MuseCrazy wrote:$60 for sand is pretty outrageous. I think the 4 inches is enough sand and you can get away with adding a few more inches with some free soil from outside lol. Or you can try the coconut husk. Just make sure you bake anything you use before you introduce it to their tank. Doesn't Singapore have native hermit crabs? It might be a good idea to check out their natural environment and see if you can find out what substrate they prefer.
I'm unsure where to buy coconut husk,There are hermit crabs native here,but they are very rare finds...

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:08 pm

YYWW wrote:Ok. Just give them a haircut Image and maybe bake it, low and slow, to clean it? Or if you know it is clean you can place the fiber in the freezer to take care of pests??? I'm pretty stumped! Image

Crabbers unite!!!

ETA:
Interesting info about harvesting cocofiber: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Coir.html
Sounds like quite a feat!!!
Are there nearby countries that you could import from that wouldn't cost so much?
I think there are,they should cost$2-4,Somewhere around there for a coconut

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Using soil would probably be the best alternative. Just make sure its organic and no peaticides. Organic earthworm castings, from a garden shop, should be cheap. Its just earthworm poop

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
Crabbzymagnus

Getting 30 gallon tank(Substrate issue)

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:58 am

YYWW wrote:Using soil would probably be the best alternative. Just make sure its organic and no peaticides. Organic earthworm castings, from a garden shop, should be cheap. Its just earthworm poop Image

Crabbers unite!!!
Yay,Thanks to stevenc i'v found playsand,its under gardening for some reasonImage
Last edited by Crabbzymagnus on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:45 am

Yay!!

Hermit mommy of 10 PP babies: Octavius Flemming, Poseidon, Junior, Matty Pumpkin, Turbo, Aries, Kaylee Frye, Pepper, Flower and Adrian Shephard.
-

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:12 pm

Crabbzymagnus wrote:Yay,Thanks to stevenc i'v found playsand,its under gardening for some reasonImage
Great! Glad to see you found some. :) Saves your pockets, which means more money to spend on hermit crab goodies. :lol:

(Normally it is under the gardening/soils section, many people use sand to help the soil drain better and some plants - aka, desert plants - enjoy a more sandy substrate. :) )
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:03 am

What about sand for building? "All-purpose" sand is often sold as an add-in for cement projects and it does work well for hermit crabs, especially if you mix it into what you already have. Otherwise I agree that all natural bagged soil would be a good option, especially if it's coir based. Sphagnum peat moss could also work if mixed into the sand you have, but it tends to be a bit harsher than coir and would be my last choice. I don't know what you have available in stores, what would need to be imported and therefore cost more, and what is common and easily found.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram