How to get sand wet again?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

How to get sand wet again?

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:15 pm

I have a feeling some caves have collapsed on my two, hopefully molting, PPs. They are both in iso right now, the sand is drying out. I have no idea why. I feel terrible, but I don't know how to get it wet again, safely! I have no spray bottle, and even if I did the water probably wouldn't get down far enough, unless I sprayed until my hands fell off, lol :) I want them to have safe molts so any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by hermitcrabdc on Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

megmaholm

Re: How to get sand wet agian?

Post by megmaholm » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:38 pm

That's a tough situation..if their caves did collapse, they're potentially in danger. I don't think there's a safe way to re-wet the substrate when you have crabs under, unless you can get a spray bottle and just spray heavily daily. And, like you said, it may not wet far enough down.

How long have they been down? If you truly feel their caves collapsed and they may be in danger, I would dig..but that's just my personal opinion and maybe someone more experience will have better advice.

What's your humidity reading in the tank? It's so weird that it's drying out like that for you. Are you using straight sand, or do you have EE mixed in?
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Good question :P I don't know. I haven't had a thermometer in there for a while. It is really warm, that may be why.
Probably should get a thermometer in there, I've been so out of the normal not having all the crabs in one place :shock: I'll get a meter in there and see if anyone else has anything to say, then decide what to do :( I don't like digging...

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:50 pm

I agree, I hate digging too. Go with your gut! What's your heat source in the tank? If it's a bulb that'll really kill humidity. Try to get a reading :) Good luck, keep us updated!
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Re: How to get sand wet again?

Post by hermitcrabdc » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 am

Sorry, didn't answer questions last night, It's a heat mat that is heating the tank, about 77 degrees. The humidity is about 73.
There's small mounts of EE not much though.
The one has been down since January 29, but I've seen tracks in the sand, so he's been up for short amounts of time then dug down. The other tank, the sand isn't drying so much, still deciding what to do in that tank.
I think I'm going to dig in the one Devise is in. Will update later :fingerscrossed:

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:20 am

Please don't dig unless you absolutely have to! You can moisten the sub by pouring a tablespoon or two of water in each corner. With 10in of sub I sometimes pour entire cups of water on my sub, just be cautious and use good judgement to not cause flooding.

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:29 am

MuseCrazy wrote:Please don't dig unless you absolutely have to! You can moisten the sub by pouring a tablespoon or two of water in each corner. With 10in of sub I sometimes pour entire cups of water on my sub, just be cautious and use good judgement to not cause flooding.
That worked really well, thank you :) now just hope they have great molts