Coco Fiber Background Questions

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Asheka

Coco Fiber Background Questions

Post by Asheka » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:44 pm

So, as I'm getting, hopefully, closer to starting the building process I have been going over ideas and changes from my original sketches I'd done up. One of the ideas I'm playing with is to keep the more "natural" look by putting up some of that coconut fiber stuff (it's a sheet or roll of it, just can't find the name right now) as a background inside. I would leave an inch at the top and bottom without.

My two main concerns are:

1) Since I will be placing the UTH on the back, it may make it more difficult to allow heat into the tank?

2) I would be attaching it easiest with velcro strips. Is it possible the UTH could melt the adhesive and/or cause burns?
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

hermieluv1

Re: Coco Fiber Background Questions

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:33 am

If you are just now building your tank, you might want to think about adding corner guard strips, for ease of attaching everything, including coco fiber sheets. I have a sheet above my pools on the end of my 55. The crabs love it.

Since it is so porous, I don't think it would interfere too much with heat. I don't know about attaching it with Velcro, though. The uth doesn't get real hot.

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:43 am

I'm going to feel a little stupid, but what are corner guard Strips?
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:28 pm

Asheka wrote:I'm going to feel a little stupid, but what are corner guard Strips?
They are "L"-shaped plastic strips, also known as wallpaper corner guards, usually 1/2-1" on each side of the "L", and are sold in the Window Treatments/Blinds section in stores like Home Depot or Lowe's (or, I'm sure, the Canadian equivalent of these home improvement stores). The strips are 4' or 6' long. Crabbers love them because you can easily trim them to fit in the top of the tank, drill holes in the lower part of the "L" for plastic zip-ties, then attach them to the inner top of the tank with aquarium silicone. Of course, this needs to be done several days before the crabs are introduced to the tank as the silicone must cure and the smell evaporate. Corner guards are the bomb for attaching fishing nets, vines, etc, without having to resort to often unreliable suction cups.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Asheka

Post by Asheka » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Crabinski wrote: They are "L"-shaped plastic strips, also known as wallpaper corner guards, usually 1/2-1" on each side of the "L", and are sold in the Window Treatments/Blinds section in stores like Home Depot or Lowe's (or, I'm sure, the Canadian equivalent of these home improvement stores). The strips are 4' or 6' long. Crabbers love them because you can easily trim them to fit in the top of the tank, drill holes in the lower part of the "L" for plastic zip-ties, then attach them to the inner top of the tank with aquarium silicone. Of course, this needs to be done several days before the crabs are introduced to the tank as the silicone must cure and the smell evaporate. Corner guards are the bomb for attaching fishing nets, vines, etc, without having to resort to often unreliable suction cups.

Thanks! We have both those stores here, close to me too, so will keep an eye out when I pick up the sand. Not sure about drilling holes however, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.