Trying to get my humidity down/lid advice

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Trying to get my humidity down/lid advice

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:13 pm

I am trying to decide if i should switch back to the screen mesh lid w/ plexi glass and take out my glass lid.
When my sliding glass lid broke i fixed it with some needlepoint canvas, this also helped regulate humidity and airflow. Except before my crabs all went down to molt i noticed it was falling apart. So while everyone was dug down i decided to fix it, again. The below picture is the lid now. It is more stable and holds together better. (It looks super sloppy i know)
Now when i finished this i left it for about 16 hours and then checked the humidity/temp and realized my acurite was broken. (It just wasnt showing any numbers (even after i changed the battery)). After i went and got a new one i did the whole, moist bottle cap of salt in a plastic bag test, and left it for 6hrs. The temperature was correct but the humidity read 56. So I put it back in the tank hoping to see it read 61 (right?) but instead i get it almost at 90.
I cant tell if my tanks humidity is just insane because of these lids or if the acurite is freaking out a bit.

Anyways thats my problem. Before i go out and buy a new lid and take apart this one does anyone have any suggestions? I tried slicing the corners of my glass lid but somehow thats how one of my crabs escaped so im not doing that one again lol But any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks =)

hermieluv1

Re: Trying to get my humidity down/lid advice

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:44 am

My humidity goes to 99 percent after I mist, and the crabs love it. I never try to get it back down.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:29 am

Wow, I thought my AcuRite was bad at 11% off. I think I would test it again just to be sure.

High humidity isn't harmful to the crabs, just watch for mold growth. Am I remembering correctly that you recently setup a new crabitat? If so, the humidity in new setups tend to skyrocket for the first few weeks but often drop as time passes.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:44 pm

When a hygrometer is that far off it's likely completely broken. :(
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:08 pm

I set it up a while ago and it did take a while for the temp and humidity to settle but i recently re-fixed the lid so Im not sure whats going on with it. I think ill test the acurite again and if it reads the same i will get another type of gauge and see if i need to replace the lids along with the gauge?

The crabs dont seem to be bothered by the high humidity but its really high idk if thats bad for them over time or not. The only thing i have noticed is that i cant leave wet foods in there as long.

It may also be possible that i did the plastic bag thing wrong and it really is only a few digits off

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Tablespoon of salt with a couple drops of water to where it's just sticky. The bag or container has to be completely sealed tight, and it takes about 6 hours for the humidity to raise to 75%.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram