I have redone my crab home!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
CrabbyCakes

Re: I have redone my crab home!

Post by CrabbyCakes » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:49 am

Oh my gosh. The girl just called and said she named her crabs Scott, Shy and Orange. Well, I think this is too small. Time to start over. (I love building tats with other peoples money!)
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

Topic author
CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:14 pm

So I went to the pet store I always go to today to get some items for the little girls tat. I noticed they were selling that sand with calcium in it. Uugggh. Well it is not like me but I worked up my nerve and spoke with the cashier about how they take really good care of the crabs they sell and explained why that sand was bad then gave suggestions on what they had in the store that would work. She looked really concerned because it is a nice little Mom and Pop place and they take pride in what they do. Hopefully it will get pulled from the floor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Great job!! Hope they will listen to your advice! To

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Good job, both complimenting them on that they care, and pointing out what of their own product they can use (that they can also sell). Yay, CrabbyCakes! Let us know if it's different next time you go back!

Topic author
CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks guys. It is very unlike me. I will go back in a few weeks to check it out. If they are still selling it I will speak with the owner. She is a sweet lady.

I am going to meet my coworkers crabbies tomorrow!

Topic author
CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Not a great update. My coworkers kid-o thinks the crabs are dull and a few have died. I have volunteered to take them. Hopefully she will give them to me to take care of. :(

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:18 pm

CrabbyCakes wrote:Not a great update. My coworkers kid-o thinks the crabs are dull and a few have died. I have volunteered to take them. Hopefully she will give them to me to take care of. :(
I am so sorry, and can totally relate to putting a tank together in high hopes then realising the child in question isn't really biting.

I presently worry about being in EXACTLY the same place with my bf's kid sister, who won her (fairly inactive) crabs at a fair. It's problematic, because I think kids want the crabs to move around a lot, and generally be something they aren't - something like a cross between a pokemon and a shelled hamster. (Actually, that might just describe one of the pokemons. :dunno: )
I wonder if the kids would be more into it all if they'd had a more active part in putting together the tat, but there's no way to know. I'm trying to get the kid on my end more interested, but I can tell that the way I talk about them isn't really Fun, or Entertaining enough to hold her attention long. And she's a good nut, and reasonably responsible for her age - her brother's worked her whole life to get her interested in wild life.

I dunno. It's a bummer. :(
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Oh no!! So sorry:( Hope they will pass the remaining hermies to you so they can be cared for in a loving hermie home

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Crabs need a day and night light cycle.. they won't get the proper light in a tub.. you really need to get a glass tank so you can get the proper lighting. A heat mat fixed to back side to keep the humidity and temperature controlled at all times.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Laurie LeAnn wrote:Crabs need a day and night light cycle.. they won't get the proper light in a tub.. you really need to get a glass tank so you can get the proper lighting. A heat mat fixed to back side to keep the humidity and temperature controlled at all times.
Many, many crabbers, including myself have found clear plastic totes to make excellent temporary or portable crabitats. They are also cost effective and ultratherms can be applied to them without melting or harming anything.

Since they are clear, the crabs do get their day/night light cycle just fine.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk