Strawberry Questions

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
SneakePablo

Strawberry Questions

Post by SneakePablo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi, I am interested and getting some Strawberry crabs and have some care questions. Before I start, yes, I know they have a short lifespan and require very specific care. I am not a beginner I have had hermit crabs for 5 years now. Only deaths from PPS and 1 from surface molt. :(
Questions....
1.What size tank should I get for 3 Straws?
2.What size salt water dish should I get?
3.Is there a different salt water mix for Straws? If yes, tell me how to make it with instant ocean.
4.Are there any special food requirements for them?
5.Any substrate mix they prefer?
6.How deep should the substrate be?
7.Any good online/real stores I can get them at?
8.How many bags/bricks of substrate should I get?
9.If there are any other things I should know please tell me. :D
If you have any suggestions feel free to tell me! Thank you for any help!!!! :crabbigsmile:
Owner of....
Purple Pinchers: Herman, Lily, Andy, Violet, and Indigo
Ecuadorians: Blue, Zoidberg, Norman, Victor, House, and Cuddy
2 Cats, 3 Dogs, 1 Chameleon, 2 Geckos, 2 Bunnies, and 2 Goldfish

AutumnHermie

Re: Strawberry Questions

Post by AutumnHermie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:25 pm

@sneakepablo, I personally do not know of any reputable sites that sell straws. I got mine from a local mom+pop store in my area.
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:33 pm

1. I would go no lower than a 40 gallon minimum. My straws were very active.
2. Depends on tank size. Many of us use either a plastic Tupperware container or a 1 gallon KK with a bubbler in it.
4. The aren't really any special food requirements for them. If you feed foods high in beta carotene I've found my straws have brighter coloration.
5. There's not really a "preferred" substrate for straws. I used a 5:1 ratio of sand to EE and had no problems.
6. I had a 75 gallon with 8-12 inches of the 5:1 ratio.
7. Depends on tank size.
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:49 am

Questions....
1.What size tank should I get for 3 Straws?
Like any other crab it depends on their size - I don't know how many others you have or what tank size you were planning but one should always go the biggest they can. :)

2.What size salt water dish should I get?
Big enough for them to fully submerge, they do tend to like that salt water!

3.Is there a different salt water mix for Straws? If yes, tell me how to make it with instant ocean.
I use IO and I use 1/2 cup per gallon. If you're concerned about salinity of the water you can buy a hydrometer and measure.

4.Are there any special food requirements for them?
I feed mine all the same things I feed the others.

5.Any substrate mix they prefer?
Not that I've noticed.

6.How deep should the substrate be?
Depends on the size of your tank and the size of your crabs. Deeper is better, but at least six inches for your smaller crabs. Straws are no different.

7.Any good online/real stores I can get them at?
I got mine at a local store and one was adopted. I don't know who I would recommend online. You could start going to local exotics pet stores and if you like them asking if they carry hermit crabs or could special order straws from their venders.

8.How many bags/bricks of substrate should I get?
Depends on the tank size and depth you want. If you have a 40 or more I'd bet on at least 50lbs of playsand and a couple multiple bricks of EE. Basically, however much it takes to get the depth you'll need.

9.If there are any other things I should know please tell me. :D
Straws like to both climb and often dig. They love the stroll the substrate and are very active so you'll want both floor space and to take advantage of the tank's height with plants or second levels. Mine LOVE their driftwood jungle gym-they are ALWAYS up there! You would certainly love straws-friendly, active, beautiful-what's not to love!
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa