Using a watering can to keep that substrate moist!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Bookard

Using a watering can to keep that substrate moist!

Post by Bookard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Hello everyone, good evening!~

Just had a thought. I'm having a time and a half keeping my substrate moist, as misting only gets that top layer.
I'm wondering if maybe using a watering can would be better, seeing as the droplets would soak deeper in.

Thoughts?

mool

Re: Using a watering can to keep that substrate moist!

Post by mool » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:15 am

I think it could work if you can find one with a really fine shower head over the end. My worry would be that you would risk over watering and saturating the sub at the bottom of the tank.

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:28 am

If you try it will you post your results?? I've been battling humidity myself and the spray bottle doesn't really work. Humidifiers are expensive and DIY humidifiers break quickly.
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

Topic author
Bookard

Post by Bookard » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:01 am

I'm going to try do DIY a can today, and I'll definitely post my results for you guys.

Duly noted on the droplet size, I didn't even think about the water flooding the bottom layer.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:00 pm

Be VERY careful if you don't have a false bottom, like others have mentioned you don't want flooding. Maybe even use. Something to block some of the holes off even. I personally don't think I'd risk it since floods happen to people who just mist too much, but I'm also overcautious. As far as humidity, just aquarium bubblers with airstones in each pool has been enough to keep my humidity high. (Cost me around 15 bucks total.) Also if you feel like your following all of the forum advice and you're still having humidity issues, make absolutely sure your gauge is working correctly. About a month ago I went nuts trying to boost my humidity, and even though it had only been a month since calibration my zoomed gauge was reading 20 percent off. A high humidity should keep that substrate pretty moist too so you won't have to mist as often :)

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Just to add, I got a spray bottle that I really loved off Amazon called flairisol, it gives off a continuous really fine mist, but I will warn, it only lasted about 3 months before the dechlor gunked it up, and it doesn't spray as nicely anymore.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

mool

Post by mool » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:02 pm

I used to have battery operated automatic spray bottles. I had to press and hold the trigger to get spray, but I didn't have to pump. They sprayed a good amount of water. I liked them a lot but so did my (ex) hubby and he appropriated them for other uses. I *think* I got them at Harbor Freight, but I've never seen them again.

They were top heavy due to the battery and motor, but well worth the clunkiness.

Sweet Pea

Post by Sweet Pea » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:44 am

I use a yogurt container and made a dripper out of it by poking one small hole in it. I position it over a piece of wood or structure and let it do it's thing. The water is released slowly over the course of a couple of hours and soaks the wood/coats the structure and then evaporates.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:52 am

Personally I wouldn't use a watering can in fear of a flood. I would just stick with a spray bottle, or add an alternative way to add humidity, ie; moss pit, bubbler pools, fogger, etc.
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:19 am

I put a wet towel over the top of the tank and I haven't had to mess with it in a couple of days now, my humidity is staying level ^^
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:51 am

I'm voting on team caution... Watering can seems like a bad idea. If you are misting- have moss pits- and have a bubbler going in your pool your humidity really should be decent. I would follow rawrgeous's advice and check to see if your gauge is working.

Also how is your tank covered? If you have too much air flow it will dry out your air and sub very quick. Do some investigating in how your humidity escapes- maybe post some pictures so we can comment better :)
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend