Vinegar to clean inside glass?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
mool

Vinegar to clean inside glass?

Post by mool » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 am

Tell me how you use vinegar to clean inside of the crabitat, please. I've used diluted vinegar in a spray bottle to clean the outside glass, but I never thought to use it inside the tank.

I'm getting some water spots and I want to clean them off, but don't want to harm my crabs.

I need the directions, please!

Tala

Re: Vinegar to clean inside glass?

Post by Tala » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:27 am

I just sprayed some on a towel and wiped the water spots with it-- I'd read that it's safe for crabs so just assumed that meant in the tank. I hope I didn't do something wrong. :(
9 PPs (Sandy, Shelly, Franklin, Max Jr., Gusgus, Digdug, Steve, General Crabbington, & Ol' Lady Crabbington)
4 kitties & 2 pups! :)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:20 am

Tala's way is exactly how you would want to do it. Just dampen the towel, not dripping. I always dilute the vinegar with water 50/50. Most of the time I just wash the glass with plain water though.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:09 pm

I slosh some onto a paper towel and use it straight for all my critter tanks inside and out. Works like magic, and a pair of disposable gloves keeps my hands from smelling like fair fries.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
mool

Post by mool » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Thanks y'all! I use vinegar all the time to clean but never thought I could use it inside the tank too!

Sweet Pea

Post by Sweet Pea » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:45 pm

I use a microfiber washcloth with diluted vinegar. It seemed to help with hard water buildup inside the tank better than paper towels did.

Topic author
mool

Post by mool » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:06 am

@Sweet Pea
That's a great idea! The glass will be less likely to haze or etch with microfiber. Thanks for the tip!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Is the vinegar diluted with dechlorinated water?? I usually keep a spray bottle with dilute vinegar in my kitchen for cleaning but it is mixed with tap water.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Is the vinegar diluted with dechlorinated water?? I usually keep a spray bottle with dilute vinegar in my kitchen for cleaning but it is mixed with tap water.
I use straight vinegar, like wodesorel; just put some on a washcloth and wipe the glass. If it seems super-"fumey" I'll leave the lid open for a minute and wave them out; otherwise no problem.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
mool

Post by mool » Sun May 01, 2016 10:15 am

Kermie16 wrote:Is the vinegar diluted with dechlorinated water?? I usually keep a spray bottle with dilute vinegar in my kitchen for cleaning but it is mixed with tap water.
Put a drop of de-chlor in it and problem solved!!